Re: San Francisco Pelicans

  • PseudoDion3@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1 7:26 PM
      Pete, I ordered the information packet for the Pelican in May. I have
      since ordered the plans for the 12 ft although I am also interested
      in the 16 and 18' versions.
      The Pelican was designed by Bill Short and in San Francisco and
      all along the West Coast there are Pelican Sailing Clubs. The 12' is
      a popular racer, it is fast and seaworthy as are the larger versions.
      A fellow I know who has sailed his 12' on Lake Superior says that he
      has had it out in windy conditions and five foot seas and the Pelican
      sails like a dream. It bobs over the waves and is quite dry by his
      accounts. He is building a 16' foot this summer.
      Murial Short, the designer's wife, I believe, will send
      information and study plans to you for free if you give her your
      mailing address.The hull design is a banks dory with a sampan bow. It
      is a center boarder with over 21/2 ft of freeboard.
      I happen to like the design myself. It looks pretty in its own
      odd way. While I am building a Teal and Featherwind at the moment, I
      might try my hand a Building the Pelican later.The Pelican's odd
      beauty and good sailing properties are exactly the same qualities
      that attracted me to Bolger's Micro. Since I have seen the Micro, I
      have fallen in love with it and hope to start building one over the
      winter. Also, the Pelican owners I have talked to are as fiercely
      loyal to their designs as those of us on the Bolger list.

      Regards,

      Dennis Marshall
      Grand Rapids, Michigan

      --- In bolger@y..., staehpj1@h... wrote:
      > Anyone know more about the Pelican than was shown on the www page?
      > wrote to the email address that was show on the page and requested
      > more info. I'll report back what I learn, if anyone is interested.
      > hope it isn't too off topic here.
      >
      > Pete
    • Ralph
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1 7:33 PM
        Those of you interested in the Pelicans should rent the movie "Summer
        Rental" starring John Candy. There are a number of sailing sequences
        showing the 12' Pelican and a brief one of the 16' Great Pelican.

        Ralph