Concessions to Fashion

  • David Ryan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2001
      FBBB --

      I think it's absurd to talk about *any* design discipline as if there
      is a boundary between form and function. Even container ships and oil
      tankers are subject to the vagaries of "fashion"; let alone pleasure
      craft. Rococo is a fashion, but form follows function is a fashion
      too!

      Cost, performance, appearance -- these are all factors in any design;
      whether it a car, a boat, a Web site. Any design that interacts with
      human beings (that's pretty much all of them, isn't it?) must and
      should be subject to fashion. And innovative designers will
      continues to question the price paid for that beholdance to "fashion"
      and give us new ways to do things.

      If Bolger designs have done anything for my understanding of boats,
      they've shown me how these considerations of cost, performance and
      appearance interact. My scooner and teal have characteristics I don't
      like, but they have characteristics I like very much; and I (think)
      have a much better understanding of what I can and can't have given
      my money, time, and craftsmanship.

      YIBB,

      David

      CRUMBLING EMPIRE PRODUCTIONS