Adapting trailer for flat bottom boats

  • Michael Galvin
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2001
      Can anyone direct me to advice on adapting trailers to carry Bolger-type
      flat-bottomed boats? I'm sure somewhere I saw something either buried in a
      message here or in some Bolger-related web page.

      I'm trying to adapt an existing trailer with bunks running for and aft for
      use with my June Bug. I think I remember somewhere that the bunks should
      run athwartships rather than fore-and-aft with such a flat-bottomed craft.

      Any advice?
    • Chuck Leinweber
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2001
        Michael:

        Jim Michalak has some info:

        http://marina.fortunecity.com/breakwater/274/1998/0115/index.html

        Chuck

      • cadbury@swbell.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2001
          Jim Michalak's comments converning athwart-ship possitioned bunks
          are definetly worth reading, but there is an additional point
          to consider. With athwart-ship bunks, and a boat larger than
          a June Bug, the trailer often must be submerged to the point
          where the boat can be floated into position- you do not have the
          option of winching the boat up onto the trailer. Again, with
          the June Bug it probably won't matter as the boat is light
          enough to "man-handle" as necessary. For this reason I prefer
          longitudinal bunks, assuming the rocker of the boat's bottom
          does not preclude them, and I prefer keel rollers. I put
          a center "keel" made from a 2" by 4" on my AF4 so that it, and
          not the bottom plywood, would bear on the keel rollers.
          Jim was supprised to see how easily my AF4 launched from
          a shallow-positioned trailer. It also retrieves easily.
          One thing to keep in mind, regardless of bunk/ roller positioning,
          is that the trailer, on the ramp, is at an angle, and the
          boat floating up to it is level. Watch for interferience
          between the stem and the trailer frame in this situation.

          Max
        • richard@spellingbusiness.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2001
            Hey, Max. Hub is working fine!

            Would add, I have only athwart-ship bunks on my trailer, and have no
            problem winching it up. I do have to lift the nose a bit to get it on
            the forward bunk, then I winch it out of the water. I have to go
            deeper of course to launch, but I can retrieve without getting the
            tires on the truck wet.

            I have often thought I needed a board, say a 9 inch wide piece of
            3/4 ply, going from the center bunk to the forward bunk. Mounted on
            hings, it would flex and guide the nose up on the forward bunk.

            As you know, I have an AF2, no keel on the bottom. When I build the
            Chebacco LC, I will go with rollers as you suggest, but use two
            athwart-ship bunks. The trick will be evenly distribing the weight
            between the bunks and the keel...

          • cadbury@swbell.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2, 2001
              --- In bolger@y..., richard@s... wrote:
              > Hey, Max. Hub is working fine!
              >
              > Would add, I have only athwart-ship bunks on my trailer, and have
              no
              > problem winching it up. I do have to lift the nose a bit to get it
              on
              > the forward bunk, then I winch it out of the water. I have to go
              > deeper of course to launch, but I can retrieve without getting the
              > tires on the truck wet.
              >
              > I have often thought I needed a board, say a 9 inch wide piece of
              > 3/4 ply, going from the center bunk to the forward bunk. Mounted on
              > hings, it would flex and guide the nose up on the forward bunk.
              >
              > As you know, I have an AF2, no keel on the bottom. When I build the
              > Chebacco LC, I will go with rollers as you suggest, but use two
              > athwart-ship bunks. The trick will be evenly distribing the weight
              > between the bunks and the keel...

              Hey, Capt. Richard!

              How 'bout a Messabout on TableRock/Bull Shoals/ Beaver/ Grand
              Lake?

              My goal, not necessarily realized, when I set-up my trailer
              was to be able to launch and retrieve without getting the trailer
              hubs wet. So I have 4 keel rollers and a pair of 8-ft longitudinal
              bunks. On very steep ramps, i will have a problem with the straight
              stem trying to hit the next roller in line, on the vertical surface
              of the stem. I may need to add one more roller to close-up the
              distance between them. Another concern with the bunks is one has
              to watch for a tendency for the chines to try to get stuck between
              them rather than to climb them. The keel roller at the rear of the
              frame will usually prevent this unless the trailer is submerged too
              deep.

              Since my bunks pass under the companionway bulkhead, motor well
              forward bulkhead, and the transom, I am not much concerned about the
              bottom flexxing that Jim addresses in his newsletter concerning
              trailers. Since the bottom is usually the thickest, and heaviest,
              part of the boat, I would argue that bottom flex is probably not
              a concern on any open boat with little structure bearing down on the
              sides.

              A bigger concern of mine, primarily with powerboats, is that
              the transom should have support directly underneath it to support
              the weight of the outboard, or in my case, two outboards. This is why
              I have my bunks extend about 4 inches aft of the transom, which also
              provides a handy place to fasten transom tie-downs. A sailboat with
              a small auxiliary outboard doesn't worry me as much.

              Personally, I believe that it is harder to "set-up" a trailer to
              handle a "pointy-bow" flat-bottom boat, than a vee-bottom boat,
              primarily due to that deep, straight stem. A raked stem with rounded
              fore foot will not try to snag every cross member of the frame or
              drag on the tongue.

              Later

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 2, 2001
                --- In bolger@y..., cadbury@s... wrote:

                > Hey, Capt. Richard!
                >
                > How 'bout a Messabout on TableRock/Bull Shoals/ Beaver/ Grand
                > Lake?

                Actualy, I'm planing on setting one up at Lake Keystone, my local
                stomping grounds, in the fall. They have a pretty decent state park.
                I'll do some recon, pick a nice sandy beach for boats, away from
                yucky boat traffic, etc. I'll post to the list when I figure it out.

                > Since my bunks pass under the companionway bulkhead, motor well
                > forward bulkhead, and the transom, I am not much concerned about
                the
                > bottom flexxing that Jim addresses in his newsletter concerning
                > trailers. Since the bottom is usually the thickest, and heaviest,
                > part of the boat, I would argue that bottom flex is probably not
                > a concern on any open boat with little structure bearing down on the
                > sides.

                I like the idea of launching without getting the trailer wet. An
                extention, as long as you had enough water to float the boat, you
                could have a fold out ramp with rollers on it for your keel. You
                could launch in VERY shallow water. Say, 4 inches...

                I would be concerned with the point loads the rollers put on keel. I
                suppose, with relativly light boats like ours, it's not really a big
                deal. Are your rollers located under bulkheads?

                I was thinking with Chebacco I would go with a roller every 6 inches
                or so. To much?
              • cadbury@swbell.net
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 4, 2001

                  Good morning Capt. Richard!

                  I am not too familiar with the Chebacco so I really don't
                  have an opinion as to trailer needs. I would not want to
                  use rollers on a planked hull, for fear of starting seams,
                  or on a plywood hull with a relatively thin skin supported
                  by frames and stringers. For the "instant" style boat, where
                  it appears the lack of frames and stringers are compensated for
                  by a relatively thick bottom, I don't think rollers are a problem.

                  I did not want the rollers bearing on the bottom ply
                  of my AF4, so I have them bearing against the 2 by 4 (laying flat,
                  not on edge) keel and there doesn't seem to be any problems, even
                  when I am in the boat while it is on the trailer. Roller spacing is
                  about 2 feet or so in the front half of the boat, but much wider
                  back by the bunks. I did not even check to see if the rollers
                  were under bulkheads. My main concern was placing the rollers so
                  that the boat, when winched up the trailer, would not drag on
                  the trailer frame.

                  The Chebacco is a nice-looking boat, but probably beyound my
                  skill-level at this time. One of the designs that I am considering
                  is the AF2. Have you ever had yours capsize, and if so, how difficult
                  was the recovery?

                  Something like a Chebacco may be further down the road for me,
                  but not for the next project.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 4, 2001
                    Chebacco uses 1/2" ply for the entire hull. It would of course be be
                    sheethed in glass. (probably both sides...)

                    It has a short keel that holds about half the centerboard. This would
                    be what is sitting on the rollers. Would probably cover the bottom of
                    the keel with aluminum rock armour. That would spread the point loads
                    from the rollers. The bunks would be there to guide the boat durring
                    launch and retrieval, and keep it from tipping and whatnot on the
                    trailer.

                    I've never had my AF2 capsize. I've seen it up to 35 degrees, and
                    I've gotten the back deck wet... Most interesting manuever is the
                    flying jibe in high winds. Be sure to move your ballast BEFORE the
                    boom comes across!

                    I don't think it would be that hard to right, even if it did capsize.
                    The flare on the sides, the thick bottom. Worst comes to worst, you
                    could crawl on top an parbuckle out with one of the ropes.

                    Will have to test sometime. Maybe at the fall messabout at Keystone?
                    Load the boat up with normal compliment, tie a rope to the top of the
                    mast, and one underwater to the bottom of the leeboard. Use a spring
                    scale and measure force vs angle... Think that would get people to
                    come to the messabout?!

                    We could try the righting experiment too!