Re: FLARED SIDES

  • staehpj1@home.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2001
      I won't presume to agree or disagree with any opinion about whether
      Bolger could or would have designed the Pelican. There are a number
      of reasons, including the following:

      I am not an expert on bolger designs (or any other designs
      for that matter).

      I consider that kind of argument to be somewhat pointless.

      That said I must say that I don't see where you (Julian) are coming
      from on this one.

      First, of all Bolger has designed boats with a LOT of flare. Not
      only a little added as a concession to fashion. Do you honestly
      think he added flare to the Glouchester Gull for fashion? That
      notion is absurd. Ditto for Teal, Windsprint, and many others. I
      think I read a quote where he said he earned his ticket to heaven by
      designing the Gull, so he must have been pretty happy with at least
      one of his highly flared designs.

      What do you mean when you say, "Pelican is just an inlargment of what
      has been around for long time anyway." That just seems like a cheap
      shot that could be taken at any designer, including Bolger.

      Pelican has been around for a long time itself (1959), and just what
      is it an enlargment of?

      Even Bolgers's boats, as original as they are, borrow very heavily
      from others that came before. He didn't invent the sharpie after all.

      I don't want to start a flame war or anything, but your comments just
      didn't make sense to me.

      Pete
    • stephen@paskey.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2001
        --- In bolger@y..., staehpj1@h... wrote:
        > Even Bolgers's boats, as original as they are, borrow very heavily
        from others that came before. He didn't invent the sharpie after all.

        *** Not only that, but Bolger apparently was not the first to design
        sharpies with no flare at all.

        I'm quoting here from Howard Chapelle's "Chesapeake Bay Crabbing
        Skiffs," a small booklet published by the Chesapeake Bay Maritime
        Museum. Chapelle describes an unusual "flattie" skiff (flat-bottomed
        forward, with deadrise aft) from Smith Island, Maryland, which had
        tumblehome amidships. In other words, the sheer amidships was
        narrower than the chine. Some watermen thought the design, with its
        very sharp chine, helped the boat get to windward in very shallow
        water. (Chapelle was skeptical.)

        Chapelle then adds this remark: "Because of the success of this
        particular model, many watermen are convinced that flare is harmful
        to speed in sailing craft and so A NUMBER OF WALL-SIDED SKIFFS HAVE
        DEVELOPED; these are, in general, dangerous boats in blowing weather."

        Wall-sided skiffs?

        Stephen