San Francisco Pelicans

  • gerry777@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1 7:52 AM
      Pippo,

      The boat Ellen referred you to
      http://www.ns.net/~jheidgr/pub/picture1.htm is the Pelican (1959). This
      is a boat which, to me, seems to so fit the Bolger-thinking that I have
      always had a hard time believing he did not design it.

      When you go to the picture be sure to click on the "Homepage" so you can
      get the story and specifics of the boat. I first saw the Pelican in
      1960 in a boating magazine that Sports Afield published at the time. I
      have kept the plans from the magazine from that time til this.
      fortunately after the first design, it was enlarged twice.

      Enjoy
    • staehpj1@home.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1 12:59 PM
        Anyone know more about the Pelican than was shown on the www page? I
        wrote to the email address that was show on the page and requested
        more info. I'll report back what I learn, if anyone is interested. I
        hope it isn't too off topic here.

        Pete
      • PseudoDion3@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1 7:26 PM
          Pete, I ordered the information packet for the Pelican in May. I have
          since ordered the plans for the 12 ft although I am also interested
          in the 16 and 18' versions.
          The Pelican was designed by Bill Short and in San Francisco and
          all along the West Coast there are Pelican Sailing Clubs. The 12' is
          a popular racer, it is fast and seaworthy as are the larger versions.
          A fellow I know who has sailed his 12' on Lake Superior says that he
          has had it out in windy conditions and five foot seas and the Pelican
          sails like a dream. It bobs over the waves and is quite dry by his
          accounts. He is building a 16' foot this summer.
          Murial Short, the designer's wife, I believe, will send
          information and study plans to you for free if you give her your
          mailing address.The hull design is a banks dory with a sampan bow. It
          is a center boarder with over 21/2 ft of freeboard.
          I happen to like the design myself. It looks pretty in its own
          odd way. While I am building a Teal and Featherwind at the moment, I
          might try my hand a Building the Pelican later.The Pelican's odd
          beauty and good sailing properties are exactly the same qualities
          that attracted me to Bolger's Micro. Since I have seen the Micro, I
          have fallen in love with it and hope to start building one over the
          winter. Also, the Pelican owners I have talked to are as fiercely
          loyal to their designs as those of us on the Bolger list.

          Regards,

          Dennis Marshall
          Grand Rapids, Michigan

          --- In bolger@y..., staehpj1@h... wrote:
          > Anyone know more about the Pelican than was shown on the www page?
          > wrote to the email address that was show on the page and requested
          > more info. I'll report back what I learn, if anyone is interested.
          > hope it isn't too off topic here.
          >
          > Pete
        • Ralph
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1 7:33 PM
            Those of you interested in the Pelicans should rent the movie "Summer
            Rental" starring John Candy. There are a number of sailing sequences
            showing the 12' Pelican and a brief one of the 16' Great Pelican.

            Ralph