Re: Cheap and Dirty - plywood choices:

  • cadbury@swbell.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 30, 2001
      Here is Eastern Missouri, I have found one place that stocks
      1/4" fir marine, @ $48.50 / sheet. Don't bother asking about
      occume.

      I would be plenty happy if I could find a source of 3/8" MDO.
      I had located ONE yard that carried it, but they have now
      gone out of business (probably because they stocked 3/8" MDO
      that nobody but boat builders wanted.

      My first boat is BC pine exterior and it is looking more and more
      like my next boat will be, also.

      By the way, very little AC fir around here, and what there is looks
      worse than the BC pine.

      Max
    • James Fuller
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2001
        You might check with a sign painter in your area. They use the MDO for
        signs and will probably know
        of a source.

        James Fuller

      • cadbury@swbell.net
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2001
          --- In bolger@y..., "James Fuller" <james@p...> wrote:
          > You might check with a sign painter in your area. They use the MDO
          for
          > signs and will probably know
          > of a source.

          The sign painters use 3/4" MDO. I can get 3/4" MDO all over the
          place. A few places even have 1/2". No one carries anything
          thinner than that, although they will be happy to order
          a pallet-load of the stuff for me.

          Max
        • Chris Crandall
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 2, 2001
            On Sun, 1 Jul 2001 cadbury@... wrote:

            > Here is Eastern Missouri . . .
            > I would be plenty happy if I could find a source of 3/8" MDO.
            > I had located ONE yard that carried it, but they have now
            > gone out of business (probably because they stocked 3/8" MDO
            > that nobody but boat builders wanted.

            I ordered up some 3/8 MDO here in Eastern Kansas. It sucked so bad, that
            even the lumberyard guy called me up and told me "prepare to be
            disappointed". I ended up buying some 1/2" MDO, which is OK, but doesn't
            make my heart sing.

            It's on the coasts (and Texas) that good ply can had at "sensible" prices.
            Trucking costs.