RE: Confession Time

  • PseudoDion3@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2001
      Peter, the boat is a Great Pelican:
      LOA 16
      Beam 8
      Draft 4"/4'
      Weight 480lbs
      Sail Area 129 sq ft
      Jib 58 sq ft.

      There is a Super Pelican version of 18ft that has the same specs except it is
      two feet longer. They also make a 12ft one as well. From what I understand,
      the hull is a grand banks dory style with a sampan type bow. Made to sail in
      San Francisco Bay, these boats are good sailers all around and can handle
      pretty rough conditions. The sampan bow is supposed to prevent broaching. It
      is an interesting design, I think.

      Dennis Marshall
    • ellengaest@boatbuilding.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2001
        Hi Dennis,
        Aw shucks.........and here I was hoping to give Pippo a little
        surprise and get him "clicking" all over the place to find out more on
        his own about this fun design! These scientific types,like Pippo,have
        wonderfully curious minds and doing some"research"is usually right up
        their alley. ;-)
        I agree with you that this is an interesting design and everything
        I have read about them over the years has been positive.There is even
        someone building a modified 18footer,out of aluminium with plans to
        take her on a world voyage.Don't know if he ever did it or if he is
        even finished yet.
        Anyway,I hope Pippo finds this design fulfilling his requirements
        and gets him out sailing eventually!
        Sincerely,
        Peter Lenihan,back from a rainy,blusterey Canada Day weekend,from the
        shores of the St.Lawrence......