re: cheap and dirty

  • wattleweedooseeds@bigpond.com.au
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2001
      Strewyh , ou blokes have got it easywith your ply. When I was
      chasing ply a year ago I looked locally-nothing. but we can order
      1/2 size sheets, cut for your convenience. I eventually ordered over
      the phone ( and paid, unseen) some sheets of Isreali Gaboon.that was
      to be frieghted 3500 km , past my house, to Perth. (lost? get out the
      atlas.) I then drove 600km (350mi) to pick it up .I imediatelly
      noticed that 2 sheets of the 10 were different. It was explainedto
      me that I'd cleaned out the Australian stocks of Gaboon And the 2
      sheets were the replacement indonesian crap take it or leave it. i
      used it on the bottom where I can hide it .
      the rubbish was only a bit cheaper than the good stuff. the
      Australian pine was heavy , full of voids, etc I'm bloodysure the
      just change the stamp depending on what the customer orders..
      As a note , there isno way I would trust the local frieght
      serviceswith marine ply. If it has to be traeted carefully they just
      use the 10tonne fork lift instead of the 5 tonne.
      Cheers paul
    • Bruce Fountain
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2001
        wattleweedooseeds@...
        > When I was
        > chasing ply a year ago I looked locally-nothing. but we can order
        > 1/2 size sheets, cut for your convenience. I eventually ordered over
        > the phone ( and paid, unseen) some sheets of Isreali Gaboon.

        Hi Paul,

        next time you are in Perth you might want to check out Morgan's
        in Bibra Lake. They have a pretty good range from cheap indonesion
        stuff upwards. I bought some indonesion exterior last year (not for
        a boat) and I was pretty impressed: occasional voids, but small;
        nice smooth grain and at A$33 (that's about US$16) a sheet for 6mm
        you won't get much cheaper. They have some fancier stuff too, but
        that is out of my price range.

        Bruce Fountain
        brucef@...