Thanks all

  • Giuseppe 'Pippo' Bianco
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2001
      Thanks all for the suggestions.
      In the last 4 years, I've considered more or less seriously an
      enormous amount of designs (possibly all the ones accessible on
      line), eventually slowly converging towards the final concept, which
      is summarized quite well by averaging many boats. I'll quote a few of
      them: Micro, Long Micro, Chebacco, NIS 18, Tiki 21, Corsaire (a very
      famous boat in Europe, drawn by the great J.J. Herbulot), Vagabond
      (Veys-Mertens), Oughtred's Eun Na Mara, and lastly the AS19. I've
      also from time to time been intrigued by some designs by Michalak
      (the AF3). I never seriously considered the Stevenson's because they
      seem to be inherently too tender.
      All of those designs are ballasted boats, except the Chebacco and the
      Tiki, whose stability derives from their shape.
      And I agree with Peter's observations (mooring draft vs sailing
      draft). No doubt what he says is true, but at least in my case I have
      to go past through very shallow water to do some sailing. The Tiki 21
      can sail in 35 cm (14") of water, the Chebacco in 30 cm. The NIS and
      the AS can be motored (or rowed) in 20 cm (8")...
      It's all a matter of trade offs. I'm still very open to suggestions
      (maybe I overlooked or simply missed something).
      Best, Pippo