[bolger] Bolger, AS29, Seabird, etc.

  • Leo W. Foltz
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 18, 1999
      Hi all,
      although having been a member of the list for some time I haven't had the
      time to show up but... here I am.

      I always wondered who was the 5000th visitor to my AS29 etc. website at
      www.leow.de...
      It must have been you Phil!

      >We're all for creativity and playing with designs.

      you mean, nicely drawn waterlines...?

      > But we wish some people wouldn't push
      >their luck quite so hard, like the builder who put his heart's blood
      >into a JESSIE COOPER with changes that seemed to fit what he understood
      >some textbook to approve. By the time he asked us why she didn't sail
      >or handle respectably, there was no way to fix her short of desperate
      >surgery. AS 29s aren't likely to perform very well with two-masted
      >Chinese lug rigs either

      Yeah, this must be the long awaited answer to the fax I sent one year ago!

      >, and leeboards and tabernacles don't often work
      >as afterthoughts, though they're both valuable to put it mildly in a
      >boat designed for them from square one. Merry mixing and matching of
      >design-attributes or dimensions from here and there for something else
      >can have its hazards.

      and this is probably the explanation that PB&F refused to send any leeboard
      drawings that I tried to order with my second fax. (yes, I really offered
      payment! o.k. we did build the Pirate Racer straight from the book...)

      >On the other hand it's hard to really hurt
      >yourself physically in boats.

      well, well, does anyone on the US east coast have a copy of Peter Tangvald:
      At Any Cost - Love, Life and Death at Sea or better Adlard Coles: Heavy
      Weather Sailing? Can he lend it to Phil, please?

      Actually I should be glad for not getting any help from Phil. It made me
      dug deeper into the mysteries of the junk rig and that is what you really
      have to do if you consider to use it. I wouldn't even think of modifying
      the hull shape of my AS29 but if you like "playing with design": with a few
      bucks for bamboo, rope and polytarp you already have a "starter kit". Those
      seriously interested should go to England and join one of the Junk Rig
      Association Rallies so they can see for themselves if this rig fits their
      needs.

      I'm probably far too late and maybe someone else has already answered the
      question but the minimum radius fir ply "should" bent is:
      lengthwise 1/4" = 5', 3/8" = 8', 1/2" = 12'
      crosswise 1/4" = 2', 3/8" = 3', 1/2" = 6'

      And to add to the epoxy discussion: In 25 years I never had problems using
      WEST (standard) for gluing, System 3 for gluing and coating and Epyglass
      (mini pumps!) when working indoor with children.

      And at last for all SEABIRD fans waiting for Stefan's website: What rig do
      you think will he use?

      Leo
    • G Carlson
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 18, 1999
        Leo,

        Please.

        You moved your sail's center of effort about one mile aft. You'll need a
        sight-glass to see it.

        I've also had people want to modify my equipment and submit me to design
        review from the ground up. Worst are the second-hand owners and
        self-taught engineers. With all due respect, I just somehow doubt you're
        PCB's peer.

        You might add some Ayn Rand to your reading list: free men can state their
        own terms and live with their consequences. If your offer was spurned,
        that's a personal matter for you and none of our business.

        QED: This is a civil, on topic group and we're pleased to have you on those
        terms. And, the group is pleased to have PCB check in.

        Savvy?

        Gregg Carlson
        moderator