Attaching Amas

  • teakdeck@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 17, 2001
      Bolger types:

      I'm in the middle of adding amas (floats, pontoons) to my Windsprint. The
      amas are basically put together instant boat style, with outside chine logs
      and gunwales. They are completely decked over. Once the amas are attached,
      the overall beam of the trimaran will be just 8 feet. I am using two by fours
      for the crossbeams. Here is the challenge:

      What is the cleverest way to attach the two by fours to the amas? Bolt on?
      Lashing? They must be demountable and, of course, simple and fast is better
      than slow and complicated. It would be very cool to figure out someway to
      grip under the gunwales. Any ideas?

      Mike Masten
    • pvanderw@optonline.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 17, 2001
        > What is the cleverest way to attach the two by fours to the amas?

        A vertical bolt just outboard of the gunwales goes through the 2x4
        ama and then through a clamp jaw. End with a wing nut. When the wing
        nut is tightened, the gunwales is clamped between the jaw and the ama.

        PHV
      • Lincoln Ross
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 17, 2001
          Just an idea: put fixed "cleats" or "clamps" on the beams, slide on
          from front and back until they engage the gunwhale. Then attach to the
          amas, which keeps them from sliding for and aft so they can't
          disengage from the gunwhale.

        • kayaker37@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 17, 2001
            Don't know if this is quite what you want, but the October 2000
            online building issue of the watertribe challenge, shows how they
            attatched amas via lashing ,which looks very neat (with very nice
            pics):

            http://www.watertribe.com/Magazine/October2000/Oct00Isaac.asp

            If this link doesn't workjust go to

            http://www.watertribe.com/

            scroll down and look for the article.

          • kayaker37@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 17, 2001
              Silly me, the name of the article is Wango Tango Lashing Method. Make
              sure to click on the medium size pics, for really large detailed