DC Bolgeristas?

  • Matthew, Agnes and Fletcher Peillet-Long
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 14 9:18 AM
      In the spirit of the "taking the plunge" thread, I am in the DC area
      until the fall and I would love to get together with anyone in the
      area with a Bolger boat or project, large or small. Building,
      crewing, messabout, anything at all, ideally a family affair.

      Drop me a line, I'm getting Bolger boat withdrawal!

      Matthew Long
      currently in Arlington, VA
      703-358-93787
    • stephen@paskey.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 15 8:14 PM
        Hi Matt: Welcome to Washington.

        If you have time this weekend (June 16-17), you should head up to
        Havre de Grace, Maryland (off 95 just before you get to Delaware,
        about 90 minutes or less?) for their 12th Annual Maritime Festival on
        the Susquehanna River. I've not been the festival before, but it's
        my understanding that there will be people there with small boats,
        some of which may be square. That's Saturday and Sunday, 10 to 5 at
        Tydings Park. Free. For info call 410-939-4800 or 410-647-5126.

        You might also want to stop by the Alexandria Seaport Foundation on
        Tuesday nights at 7 pm to putter around the boatshop. Tastes there
        run to the more traditional (one fellow's working on an Ian Oughtred
        Whilly Boat), but who knows? Info at www.capaccess.org/asf.

        As for me, I'm afraid I don't have a Bolger boat or a project
        underway. My sailing, for present, is limited to my girlfriend's 19
        foot fiberglass boat. I hope to start work on my first project next
        month, which I'll be building in the living room of my Dupont Circle
        condominium. (I need to finish the adirondack chairs for my
        girlfriend first.) I'm eyeing several designs, ranging from Paul
        Fisher's 12 foot stitch-and-glue swampscott dory to the Marco Polo
        tender (a leeboard sailing pram) from LF Herroshoff's "Sensible
        Cruising Designs." Then again, it's already mid-June, and if I don't
        decide on a design soon, I may start by knocking together a Rubens
        Nymph or Surf. (I have the plans from Dynamite for both.)

        I live and work in the District, so getting to Arlington is easy.
        Drop me an e-mail if you want to have a beer sometime.

        Stephen Paskey

        --- In bolger@y..., "Matthew, Agnes and Fletcher Peillet-Long"
        <owlnmole@y...> wrote:
        > In the spirit of the "taking the plunge" thread, I am in the DC
        area
        > until the fall and I would love to get together with anyone in the
        > area with a Bolger boat or project, large or small. Building,
        > crewing, messabout, anything at all, ideally a family affair.
        >
        > Drop me a line, I'm getting Bolger boat withdrawal!
        >
        > Matthew Long
        > currently in Arlington, VA
        > 703-358-93787
      • Belenky, Peter
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 18 6:30 AM
          Smithsonian Folklife Festival
          On the National Mall, Washington, D.C.
          June 27-July 1, July 4-8
          http://www.folklife.si.edu/festival2001info.htm

          will feature "Bermuda Connections", including:

          daily
          Arts of the Sea Area:
          Seagull boat building, fitted dinghy restoring and rigging, fishing crafts,
          sail repairing, model boat making.

          Saturday, June 30
          Conversations on the Veranda
          11:00 Seagull Racing in Bermuda*
          Special Events
          1:30 Seagull Race
          Thompson's Boat Center, Washington, (on the river, between Kennedy Center
          and Georgetown)

          Sunday, July 1
          Conversations on the Veranda
          2:00 Dinghy and Seagull Racing in Bermuda