Re: [bolger] "Corky", the sailing inner tube...

  • wmrpage@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 11, 2001
      In a message dated 6/11/01 5:26:55 AM Central Daylight Time, jsatt@...
      writes:

      But what could be expected of "Corky" as far as sailing???  A beam reach at
      best???  Have any of you ever used or seen a
      "Corky"??

      Dead downwind only, as far as I can judge. Haven't seen or used a "Corky" but
      as a child I fabricated a variety of sailing rigs and arrangements for
      innertubes and other unlikely "boats". None of them had a leeboard or
      centerboard or keel, which "Corky" also seems to lack, and all were strictly
      downwind "capable". To be sure, I didn't expect anything more from my
      creations and my sails were remnants of discarded bedsheets attached to yards
      of scrap 2X4's, I never contrived a proper rudder and relied on a canoe
      paddle for all underwater functions, as well as propulsion upwind. To be
      sure, I had a great deal of fun and sense of accomplishment from my
      endeavors, (not to mention being out of my mother's hair for extended periods
      of time, which she surely must have appreciated), but I was working in
      isolation (i.e. no peers with better "boats" to show me up) and probably
      would have been unhappy and frustrated if I had to compare my efforts to
      those of someone more accomplished.

      No Summer this year in MN,
      Bill in MN