Re:Canal Boats

  • Vince and Mary Ann Chew
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2001
      It's important to know what canals you are interested in cruising. My
      wife and I spent a lovely two weeks cruising the Trent & Mersey and
      Shropshire Union Canal in England about 4 years ago. The maximum beam to
      enter the locks and tunnels was 7 ft. as is the case in many English
      canals. On the other hand, European canals are much wider and will
      accommodate most any Bolger boat. For the English canals, Tennessee or
      Idaho would fit. Tennessee has external chines which might offer some
      protection for the inevitable scrapes against the sides of lock,
      tunnels, and bridges. On the other hand, some of the lock walls are
      rough and the external chines might occasionally hang up. For European
      or U.S./Canadian canals, Dakota, Topaz, or Wyoming would not be too
      large. People cruise U.S./Canadian canals in conventional cruisers all
      the time. Bolger also has an inboard/outdrive version of Topaz called
      Explorer which is quite interesting.

      Vince Chew