Re: [bolger] Shifting Ballast

  • Christopher Brand
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6, 2001
      >...The minimum wetted surface for a square boat is achieved when beam is exactly half the canoe-body draft...

      Only very bad math would give you that result, try canoe-body draft exactly half the beam. Much better :)

      In order to accomodate Bolger's 'equal curvature' concerns for flat bottom boats (side and bottom curvature should be matched to reduce eddymaking and poor
      handling), this Square Boat would have to be a double-ender with the base of her stem and sternpost exactly at the waterline.

      Also, if she was as tall as she is wide, she would put the center of her deckline in the water at 90 degrees, it doesn't seem like a particularly good idea. Sponsons might
      fix that, or, perhaps we shouldn't go for minimum wetted surface in a square boat...

      Pax,
      Chris B