RE: [bolger] Fasteners in butt blocks

  • Chris Crandall
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 5, 2001
      On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, Jim Chamberlin RCSIS wrote:
      > Has anyone thought of just drilling a series of holes through the
      > panels and the butt blocks and allowing the holes to fill with epoxy
      > during the gluing process? The epoxy filled holes are easy sanding,
      > no puttying required and saves on hardware. An epoxy rivited,
      > fiberglass reinforced, butt joint. Its too late and I'm going to bed.

      This strikes me as a weak idea. Epoxy's strength is not as a "tension
      column", but in shear strength. If you want such an effect, a ring nail
      is cheaper, easier, and more effective.

      The holes may get bubbles in them, and assuring no bubbles and a smooth
      surface will be much more work than pounding in a copper or brass nail.