Re: [bolger] a weekend of sailing lessons

  • David Ryan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5, 2001
      >When all the kids got out so I could sail alone I was suprised at how
      >bad she sailed. with no weight on board she tossed , bobbed and
      >drifted terribly. Thers a lesson here for people building light boats.
      >The other lesson was just how much the ply panels flexed. A JB only
      >has small panels so now I'm looking at the folding schooner and
      >noticing the lack of ribs , stringers, frames, and overall weight.

      I also got a lesson on how important weight is for a sailboat. I
      finally got my scooner out with nicely balanced combination of crew
      experience, crew weight and wind and *wow* did she go nicely!

      The wind was just beginning to turn little whitecaps on the lake, I
      had a preacher (#225+) and his wife (#140) who live about a their
      sloop during the summer and me (#180). We could have used one more,
      but it was a good start.

      Close-hauled, Dana (the wife) camped on the edge of the weather rail
      while Sal tended the foresail. He understood immediately how trimming
      the fore effected the boat, and before long I was heading off as he
      eased the sheet and we were powering through the puff with little
      change in course. Tacking was a joy. As I put the tiller over, Sal
      would let the fore goes and the main would begin the tack and our
      weight would drive us through stays with no trouble at all. After 4
      or 5 tacks we'd make the weather side of the lake and fall off for
      the long run to the lea shore.

      She nearly surfed, charging up over her bow wake on the puffs, but
      falling back into the hole when the wind eased. Maybe if we hadn't
      left the square sail on the beach...

      As far as flex, I am surprised how stiff my hull is. She's 1/4 AC
      with 3.6 oz glass and raka epoxy on the topsides and 1/2 inch AC with
      6 oz glass and raka epoxy on the bottom. I did build my shear clamp a
      little on the beefy side, more like 1.5x1.5 rather than .75x1.5. I
      had a really piece of wood and want to impart it's true curve into
      the floppy 1/4 inch topsides, (It did.)

      YIBB,

      David

      CRUMBLING EMPIRE PRODUCTIONS