Re: [bolger] Stoned Horse and Camel

  • StepHydro@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 4, 2001
      Wouldn't it be super if someone who has or gets thta issue would post a
      picture of the boat? (hint)

      Cheers/Carron
    • John Bell
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 4, 2001
        Ask and ye shall receive...

        It was reprised in MAIB 18:6 (August 1, 200).

        JB in Kennesaw <><
        Who is not working on his AF4 tonight...

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 4, 2001
          The story of the name "Stone Camel" paraphrased from the article.

          Stone Horse is a succesful 23' Sam Crocker design rendered in fiberglass by
          Edey and Duff. Peter Duff and Mait Edey were considering making a larger
          boat on the same them. They met for dinner several times with PCB where they
          bounced ideas off of each other. While the process was harmonious, they
          joked about the aesthetic hazards of designing as a group: "A camel is a
          horse designed by committee" was the old saw. So naturally the name for the
          work in progress became Stone Camel. They never came up with a marketable
          name, nor did the boat progress beyond a partial plug before it was
          abandoned.

          JB
        • pvanderw@optonline.net
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 5, 2001
            When someone asks about a Bolger boat for which home-building plans
            are not available, I always start wondering what available plan would
            be the best substitute. In this case, you could consider:

            1) Sea Bird '86
            2) Triple Keel Sloop
            3) The Bolger revision of the Folkboat done for Small Boat Journal.
            This is probably the closest, but I'm not sure plans are available
            for this one either.
            4) Newfoundlander Catboat. (Personal favorite of mine)
            5) Nahant - dory derived 25' sloop from Small Boats.
            6) Leeboard catboat

            Plenty to choose from in this case.

            Peter
          • lgbarker@internetcds.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 5, 2001
              Paul,
              I've scanned a couple of pages from the Stone Horse brochure and
              posted it to my web site -- since it's not Bolger I didn't think I
              should use our disk space. I'll keep the pictures up for a couple of
              weeks.

              They're at:
              http://home.internetcds.com/~lgbarker/Stonehorse/

              I've always liked the boat but it didn't fit our location or family
              size.
              Larry

            • kayaker37@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 5, 2001
                Thanks Larry for the Stone Horse info, and to John Bell for the Stone
                Camel info. It's amazing how much PB has designed. Not that I'll get
                one any time soon, but always on the lookout for the nex one :)
                Of course if I hit lotto ...

                Thanks,
                Paul

                --- In bolger@y..., lgbarker@i... wrote:
                > Paul,
                > I've scanned a couple of pages from the Stone Horse brochure and
                > posted it to my web site -- since it's not Bolger I didn't think I
                > should use our disk space. I'll keep the pictures up for a couple
                of
                > weeks.
                >
                > They're at:
                > http://home.internetcds.com/~lgbarker/Stonehorse/
                >
                > I've always liked the boat but it didn't fit our location or family
                > size.
                > Larry

              • Clyde S. Wisner
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 6, 2001
                  Not too far off topic, PCB did a sequel called Stone Camel but I don't think it was ever built. Clyde