sliding hatch for escargot

  • king@classics.nu
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2001
      Escargot continues to progress.

      Had that problem with a bit of epoxy not settting. Used a rough
      grit sander and it all just balled up and went away. Work ok... was a
      very thin coat in a few small places.

      Getting to hatch. Anyone want to share a sliding hatch idea that they
      think is great? Needs to follow curve of roof, and sit low to roof.
      In this way the doors I made will work best.

      I have taken the boat out about 5 times or so. Works wonderfully.
      Family is very interested in using it again soon!

      Thanks.

      Bryan
      Seattle
    • cha62759@traverse.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2001
        Hi Bryan, There is an awful lot of information about hatches in the
        boatbuilding literature from very complicated to very simple. I would
        suggest you get Chapelle's Boatbuilding, Stewards Boatbuilding Manual,
        the book by Sam Rabl and I believe the West Construction book deals
        with hatches. When I was looking at Escargot a few years ago my
        inclination was to treat the cabin similar to the Bolger
        "Birdwatcher". I would have used a canvas cover that would roll up for
        good weather and unroll for rain and night time. There were obvious
        structural problems to be overcome but it seemed a reasonable option.

        Bob Chamberland