Re: [bolger] Now that there are real Micros here, a rudder question

  • Gregg Carlson
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 2, 2001
      I don't see how the shaft could turn on centerline with this arrangement.

      Anyway, I used an ordinary, heavy-duty, steel gate pivot, which like about
      a 5/8" x 4" lag screw with a knobby end and vertical pin, galvanised. Hard
      to describe, but you've seen them before...

      Gregg

    • jmcdan@hsonline.net
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 2, 2001
        I'm the "John" (don't bother, after 53 years, I've heard ALL
        the "John" jokes) referred to in the following:

        > In fact Johns Micro BANTY(see files)
        > used this set up and he once wrote about its success.

        A little clarification is in order. BANTY's upper rudder bearing
        arrangement is virtually identical to the plans.

        Following experience with another MICRO built per plans, I oversized
        both the rudder stock and lower rudder bearing. The rudder stock is
        2.5 inch diameter white oak. The lower rudder bearing is white oak
        also and is constructed from 2" stock. The upper rudder bear is 3/4
        inch white oak.

        BANTY's rudder is still going strong after 10 years of trailer
        sailing.

        John McDaniel
      • djost@ma.ultranet.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 3, 2001
          Thanks John and Greg,

          I would love to see some pictures of the rudder arrangements. Do
          either of you have a polaroid camera and a scanner?
          I can't quite picture how the gate hinge would work. It would
          still seem to me to require a little modification of the hole in the
          bottom abaft frame D, and a modification to the upper bearing since
          the rudder will now turn in a small arc as opposed to rotating around
          its axis.
          The heavy duty white oak idea is interesting to me since we have
          plenty of it around, this would probably be best for a trailer
          boat. My boat will spend most of its life at a mooring in salt water
          so I am real concerned about marine borers and other nasties.
          To answer Greg's concern as to how the rudder would spin around
          the central axis with the steel plate idea, the plate would extend
          aft past the keel for at least 2" so that the hole drilled in the
          plate would line up with the pin extending from the center of the
          rudder. The assemble could then be locked down with a lock nut or
          nut/cotter pin arrangement.

          David Jost
          "in need of an ark"

        • ellengaest@boatbuilding.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 3, 2001
            Hello John,
            I apologize for not being more specific in stating which"John".My
            lazy thinking just presumed we all would recognize you by boat name
            alone since you were the first to post a lovely picture of your MICRO
            in the files section of the group and also as the builder of a Bolger
            ANTISPRAY of which you wrote about in previous postings.
            And speaking about ANTISPRAY,how goes your wonderful live-a-board
            project?Any pictures?
            Thanks for taking the time to clarify your MICRO rudder
            installation.I am sure David(Jost) and others in rudder quandary will
            appreciate both it and its proven longevity!
            Sincerely,
            Peter Lenihan

          • colcath@ozemail.com.au
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 3, 2001

              Dave,
              There is a small essay and photos on an alternative rudder
              setup by Larry BUCK in CSD's "Common Sense News" volume 12 issue 5 on
              page 3. I don't have the link on hand but its not hard to find.

              Regards,

              Col Mooney

            • pongo19050@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 4, 2001
                My Oldshoe has a rudder that is very similar to Micro's. I built it
                prety much according to plan except that I wrapped the hardwood
                rudder stock in two layers of glass tape set in epoxy. I used white
                oak for the bottom bearing and triple 1/4 ply for the top bearing.
                The bottom bearing is attached to the keel using big stainless lug
                screws. I coated all bearing surfaces with expoxy mixed with
                powdered graphite. Also, I pretreated all of the rudder and keel ply
                and framing with wood preservative and then painted with bottom paint
                inside and out. The Oldshoe has endplates on the rudder. I used
                white oak for these as well.

                It seems plenty strong. I am planning to keep the boat in the water
                and so will trailer it only once or twice a year. I let you know how
                it works out. I hope to launch July 4th.

                Regards

                Andy Farquhar
              • djost@ma.ultranet.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 4, 2001
                  Col,
                  I have been unable to find the link. Does anyone know it?
                  Davdi Jost
                  > Dave,
                  > There is a small essay and photos on an alternative rudder
                  > setup by Larry BUCK in CSD's "Common Sense News" volume 12 issue 5 on
                  > page 3. I don't have the link on hand but its not hard to find.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > Col Mooney

                • Giuseppe 'Pippo' Bianco
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 4, 2001
                    David, I posted the whole bunch of CSD (aaaarghhh, I told the dreaded
                    name, shame on me...) newsletters in the files, some time ago. Click
                    on "Files" (left column of this page), then click on the folder
                    named "CSD Newsletters" (naaaah, I said it again...) and find the one
                    you need. Best, Pippo

                  • vcgraphics@theriver.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 4, 2001
                      David, I hope you found the file where Pippo left it.

                      This rudder mounting mod has bolts held in the hull and rudder
                      with bushings turned by lath from an old bronze drive shaft.

                      The fancy approach is probably not needed. The bolts could be
                      held by the Gougeon bros method of drilling a loose fit hole for
                      the threaded fastening, and epoxying the fasteners, well coated
                      with release agent, into the holes. The Gougeons do this with
                      winch mountings, so it must be plenty strong, at least with a
                      sideways force. The release agent allows the hardware to be
                      threaded in and out when need be. Without the bronze bushings
                      fabrication becomes simple.

                      Vance

                      --- In bolger@y..., "Giuseppe 'Pippo' Bianco" <pippobianco@t...>
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 5, 2001
                        Vance and Pippo,
                        Thank you for pointing me in the right direction to the files!
                        This is the approach that I have chosen with a couple of small
                        modifictions.

                        1. I have ordered a 14" piece of 2"X 1/4" bronze plate to be rabbeted
                        into the keel (full width side to side) and will tap it for (6) 3" #10
                        silicon bronze screws set in epoxy with release agent (wax) on the
                        screws.

                        2. I was planning on using a bronze rod inserted into the post, but I
                        can see that a suitable bronze bolt may be a lot simpler if set in the
                        epoxy bushing! I may build a test piece to see how difficult this may
                        be.

                        3. a bronze washer epoxied on the rudder will serve as a bearing
                        surface. I still have a can of WEST graphite so will probably coat
                        both surfaces with it since it is easy to redo when it wears. It also
                        will help with the pivot.

                        Many thanks for the help.
                        David Jost