A flat-bottomed boat for flat, bottom fish

  • David Ryan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2001
      FBBB --

      This morning I am sore. My arms are sore, my legs are sore, but most
      of all my back is sore. But I've also got a platter full of citrus
      baked fluke in the fridge -- enough for another dinner and two more
      lunches.

      Friday did a fair imitation of Summer out here. The wind was dead
      calm in the morning with the barest hint of a SE swell. By 7AM I was
      rowing out to the bird line about 800 yards off shore, and by a
      quarter past I was casting on passing schools of bluefish. But as
      much fun as the bluefish were to catch, I was looking for table fare.
      This is our sixth Summer in Montauk and although I've seen my friends
      working the fluke flats, I've contented myself with trolling for bass
      and bluefish under sail power. With my sail gone, and no bass to be
      seen anywhere it was time to give fluking a try. So I rowed back to
      the beach and made for the bait shop for some spearing and squid. An
      hour later I was back outside. A gentle South breeze had picked up,
      just enough for a good drift. I baited up my line and let it go to
      the bottom.

      Bounce, bounce, bounce...and then, what's that? Bump bump. I set the
      hook and reeled in a sea robin. Ugly, ugly fish with a bony mouth
      that it's hard to get the hook out. I rowed back out and repeated the
      process. Again sea robin, then another and another. I wasn't sore
      yet, but I was getting frustrated. I pointed my boat at the fleet of
      boats further South and East and put my back into it.

      150 strokes later I was in the middle of the fleet. Everything from
      20 foot run-abouts to 60 foot offshore sportsfishers, and me in my 12
      foot dinghy. I rebaited, and began another drift. Almost before the
      bait was on the bottom I had a bite. I set the hook and cranked what
      I was sure was another sea robin to the surface. But it wasn't a
      robin, it was an 18 inch fluke!

      This continued the rest of the morning and well into the afternoon.
      When I stopped getting bites I'd point my boat at the horizon and lay
      into it for a 100 strokes or so and the action would start up again.
      Most of the fish were below the 17" limit but I did manage to find 4
      keepers from 17" - 24". Getting caught in the cross chop from large
      boats resetting their drifts got my attention, but never felt
      threatening. Her motion is abrupt, but stable.

      By mid afternoon the sky was clouding up and the wind chop mounting.
      Several larger boats headed in for comfort's sake, and I made for the
      beach.

      The tide was high, and what little swell there was was breaking hard
      right at the water's edge. My timing was good, but my tired body
      didn't exit the boat quickly enough and the next wave sent fish and
      rod and oars and me flying, but nothing was lost or broken. It was
      all I could manage to drag the boat above the high tide line where
      she's lying still, filling with today's dreary rain.

      But rain or shine, it's fluke sandwiches for lunch today! And we've
      enough to last till Monday, when the weather is supposed to clear.

      YIBB,

      David

      CRUMBLING EMPIRE PRODUCTIONS
      134 West 26th St. 12th Floor
      New York, New York 10001
      http://www.crumblingempire.com
      (212) 247-0296
    • djost@ma.ultranet.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2001
        Great story David.
        My summer break happens in about 2 weeks. I can't wait to get in
        on the action! My Diablo is set up for bass, blues, and fluke
        fishing off the Chatham flats. I just need a day off to get the
        action in. June 14th?

        congratulations on your fishing trip, the Fluke is perhaps the best
        eating fish in the Northeast!
        David Jost

        <snip>