Re: Tennessee

  • jeff@goldencoast.com
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 1, 2001
      I completely agree. One thing about boat building is that one can
      labor for hours and it still looks the same to bystanders, the
      spouse, the kids, etc.

      But we all know the simple pleasures of boat building is as
      much "puttering around" as anything else.

      Sometimes I can spend an hour or more with coffee and my nasty
      nicotine habit just pondering what she'll look like or just how I'm
      going to do it. I think that's as much fun as the labor of building.

      Like the Chicken and Egg question, what came first, the Boat or the
      Dream!

      Jeff

      "Puttering on my Tennessee"

      --- In bolger@y..., "Jim Chamberlin RCSIS" <jchamberlin@r...> wrote:
      > Any progress some days is big deal.
      > jim

    • Harry W. James
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 5, 2001
        See Fritz's Sneakeasy page for modular sneakeasy construction

        http://www.alaska.net/~fritzf/Boats/Sneakeasy/Sneakeasy.htm

        HJ

        > How 'bout some more details and some photos
        > on this "modular" construction technique?
        >
        > I would love to build a Sneakeasy some time
        > in the future, but do not have 28 feet of space
        > in which to do it.
        >
        > Keep us all posted!
        >
        > Max

        > - no flogging dead horses
        > - stay on topic and punctuate

        _ _ _ _ _
        % Harry welshman@...
      • TOMCBRADY@CS.COM
        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 11 5:24 PM
          I am also looking for a website except I want one for the Tennessee. Can
          anyone help. Tom on Sandpiper.

        • TOMCBRADY@CS.COM
          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 14 2:09 PM
            Hey Chuck, Peter and all,
            I agree it would probably be a better idea to build a real sailboat
            but on strong thing in Tennessee's favor is the ease(?) of building. I mean in
            comparison to Skillyagee. Plus Tennessee weighs 1000 lbs whereas Skillyagee
            weighs 5000lbs. And as we all know lbs=dollars. Plus I want to tow it with my
            wonderful little PT Cruiser. The motorsailer idea was just a flight of fanasty.

            Does Mr. Bolger sell study plans? Does an index to his plans exist
            anywhere?
            So far Tennessee looks real good. Tom on Sandpiper.

          • Chester
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 12, 2006
              Tim:
              Great looking model. I purchased plans after purchasing the boat as
              much to build a model, as to understand the boat itself. Please do
              post photos of your build.
              I envy the look of your stern. Even without such a flourish the Esther
              Mae gets a lot of thumbs up and enthusiastic waves.
              A bow cockpit may be one of the major changes that I will engage. My
              real problem is the #4 bulkhead. It is right where I would like to
              have a pair of bunks. Then there is the issue of access into the bow
              cockpit, how are you proposing to access? I did notice that your
              forward hatch is at the bow end of the cabin, vs. mine which is at the
              rear.
              I suspect that you will have even more of a problem with the drift due
              to elimination of the external chines. We have had some phosphorus in
              the river as of late and night running allows for observation similar
              to a wind tunnel with smoke. The disturbance from the chines would
              indicate that they grab the water during turns adding some lateral
              resistance. Additionaly they fender the sides such that the side
              panels never have to hit the dock, you will find this unavoidable with
              verticle sides.
              Curves to the cabin top are the way to go, as much for water shedding
              as strength enhancement plus the graceful look it gives. My cockpit
              roof has a curve while the cabin, bow and stern do not. At 14 years
              old there is the beginning of a soft spot around the stern decking that
              will have to be dealt with, this I feel could have been avoided to some
              degree with the curved deck.
              There is no doubt that PCB is a genius, the more we use the Esther Mae
              the more it becomes obvious what a cool boat it is. It speaks to the
              misguided desire of the stock boating industry that someone has not
              marketed such a vessel for the boating public. Guess it does not fit
              the image of freedom on the water since it only goes 10 mph and does
              not require a 100 hp motor. I find the pace to be extremly freeing, I
              like most nowadays have so little time that when I go boating the last
              thing I want is to go like hell so that I can hurry up and turn around
              and go like hell back from whence I came. I can state that at 10 mph
              we have put over 900 miles on the Esther Mae since Christmas.
              Please post photos and messages as you work through the process.
              Caloosarat

              Gravediggerjames wrote:
              Hello Friends,
              I've added a photo album of my model Tennessee.
              Modifications to the plans include a two and one half feet extension
              to the stern--to make it round.
              Well, I also opted for a bow cockpit. I eliminated the external
              chines for aesthetic reasons. Put a curve to the cabin top for the
              same reason, and a slight curve to the decks to shed water. One of the
              things I really appreciate about this design is the
              genius of its perfect simplicity and function, combined with maximum
              ease of building. really look forward to cost
              efficient cruising along the hundreds and hundreds of miles of
              Columbia and Snake rivers, and beyond!
              Tim
            • deserttoad64
              Message 6 of 30 , Jan 30, 2008
                Can anyone tell me something about this boat? What HP is it rated for?
                Always wanted to build something like this. Anyone out there ever build
                one? Pretty cool.
              • Chester Young
                Message 7 of 30 , Jan 30, 2008
                  There are a number of them built, mostly in Australia but at least four here
                  in the US. The plans show a 9.9hp, but I have corresponded with Phil and he
                  is aware that EstherMae has 25hp. That is rapidly approaching the limit due
                  to the light construction of the hull. There are photos on the web, search
                  "Phil Bolger Tennessee". Also photos in this forum, under EstherMae and
                  multiple topics of conversation in the archives with Tennessee in the
                  subject.

                  Caloosarat

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 30 , Jan 31, 2008
                    Here is a real quickie of Tennessee, view with a grain of salt.

                    http://flickr.com/photos/hallman/2233660084/
                  • Harry James
                    Message 9 of 30 , Mar 1, 2008
                      Some Tennessee web sites, it tends to get modified with superstructure.
                      It was designed for and apparently goes well on 10 hp when built as
                      designed.

                      http://www.boatdesign.com/jumps/dixtenn/Page.html

                      http://www.ace.net.au/schooner/tenn.htm

                      http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/00/DM1999/articles/building/index.htm

                      http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/projects/tennessee/index.cfm

                      Go to Duckworks magazine and search for Tennessee, lots of comments and
                      such.

                      HJ

                      deserttoad64 wrote:
                      > Can anyone tell me something about this boat? What HP is it rated for?
                      > Always wanted to build something like this. Anyone out there ever build
                      > one? Pretty cool.

                    • rkldude
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jul 21, 2012
                        Does anyone have plans for Tennessee that they wish to sell ? I can also build a boat of similar design if I have the correct dimensions for bulkheads of a boat similar in size to Tennessee without all the info for scantlings and such. Can anyone help ? I have written and emailed PB&Friends with no success. Thanks, R.Laux
                      • John Boy
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jul 21, 2012
                          "a boat similar in size to Tennessee"

                          At the risk of offending all the Bolgeristas out there, Mik answers his e-mails and provides excellent customer service.
                          Michael Storer TC 35
                          John Boy

                          Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island

                        • jdmeddock
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jul 21, 2012
                            There is enough data in Different Boats to build it.
                            Get it from inter-library loan if you can't buy a copy.

                            Justin

                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "rkldude" <rkldude@...> wrote:

                            > Does anyone have plans for Tennessee that they wish to sell ? I can also build a boat of similar design if I have the correct dimensions for bulkheads of a boat similar in size to Tennessee without all the info for scantlings and such. Can anyone help ? I have written and emailed PB&Friends with no success. Thanks, R.Laux

                          • mike graf
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jul 21, 2012
                              Phil would love that

                              jdmeddock wrote:

                              > There is enough data in Different Boats to build it.
                              > Get it from inter-library loan if you can't buy a copy.
                              >
                              > Justin
                              >
                              > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com>,
                              > "rkldude" <rkldude@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Does anyone have plans for Tennessee that they wish to sell ? I can
                              > also build a boat of similar design if I have the correct dimensions
                              > for bulkheads of a boat similar in size to Tennessee without all the
                              > info for scantlings and such. Can anyone help ? I have written and
                              > emailed PB&Friends with no success. Thanks, R.Laux

                            • In Your Face
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jul 21, 2012
                                I think I got the last set. With a letter from Phil included.

                              • rjbalholm@yahoo.com
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jul 21, 2012

                                  I have been reading the Emaill about Tennessee plans and remembered that I ordered a copy from Bernard Wolfard in 1996. I made some notes on the plans and built a model but decided not to build the boat. If you can use them I will be happy to sell them to you.

                                  Roger