Re: Multiple groundings and other tricks...

  • ellengaest@boatbuilding.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2001
      Hello Jack,
      Thanks for the generous compliment!I owe it all to
      Merriam-Webster,the OED and perhaps a big debt goes to the chaps who
      toil in the better vineyards of Italy and France.
      Yes,I read how you have been the lucky recipient of a tired
      MICRO...........LUCKY YOU!

      --- In bolger@y..., "Jack E. Bearden" <jalo@i...> wrote:

      You mentioned "robust construction" of your keel. Did
      you do
      > anything to make it tougher than usual? A year or so ago I enjoyed
      the
      > excellent pictorial step by step keel making process you presented
      on your
      > website. However, I was not able to get to that site when I tried
      recently.

      For a re-fresher on the keel pictorial,go to www.duckworksmagazine.com
      and scroll the articles section.
      As to my keel,it is attached to a 1/2 inch bottom and made up of a
      laminate of 2 X 2 mahogany,through bolted up through the bottom and
      also a keelson( that little half-witted chickensh*t son-of-a-keel
      which lurks inside the boat!).
      This particular construction method is,I believe,more robust and
      longer-lived then the original suggested by Phil Bolger.Keep in mind
      that Phil designed the MICRO to a particular"wish-list" and the method
      shown on the plans does work.It just ain't as tough for the repeated
      abuses it may recieve from intimate contact with things denser then
      water.
      I do not have any ready solution for your tidal problem other then to
      suggest keeping her at a warf that has at least 20" under her at low
      water or anchoring her off a bit.
      Barnacles are no problem here as you state.Even green slime has a
      problem in the heavy-metal rich toxic soup which passes for"fresh
      water".The little Zebra muscle however,does cause all sorts of grief
      for the big water-sucking,water-cooled inboards.Expensive grief!But
      those little critters sure do enjoy straining out a ton of suspended
      sh*t from the water and for that I am grateful for the clear view of
      the bottom!
      Sorry to read about the black fly problem.Horrible beasts!At least the
      Mayflies do not haul a chunk out of ya when they take off!
      Best of luck with your restoration,post pictures if you can and do not
      hesitate to write if you think I could be of any help.
      Sincerely,
      Peter Lenihan,playing catch-up-with-the-postings on an overcast day
      off and debating with the crew whether to go to the boat or not,on the
      shores of the St.Lawrence..............

      Given the
      > variables of a rocky harbour floor, not to mention the tidal
      backwaters and
      > rivers on the Bay and basin I want to explore, would you advise any
      special
      > attention to keel and/or bottom?
      minimal "barnacle rash". I realize that
      these are
      > not likely issues on the St. Lawrence (though Zebra muscles might
      be),

      > jeb, sipping home brew, swatting blackflies, and day dreaming on the
      flaky
      > deck of Bilbo's Pocket, sitting on her even flakier trailer, on the
      gravel
      > where a bowshed workshop will soon be build... on the serene shores
      of Fundy