Re: Where's the beef?

  • jmbell@mindspring.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
      Whoa! An I thought Sea Rays were supposed to be higher quality than
      the rest...

      I wonder how a boat built out of 1/2" AC Fir or BC pine plywood
      sheathed with 6 oz. fiberglass set in epoxy would fare in the
      conditions that damaged all the boats in the article? Anyone want to
      bet against the plywood boat being more durable?

      JB in Kennesaw <><

      --- In bolger@y..., kayaker37@h... wrote:

      > I have a deposit on an Edey and Duff Dovekie, so I decided to do
      some
      > research on how to tell quality fiberglass work. I came across a
      site
      > with an article called "Are They Fiberglass Boats Anymore?" by
      David

    • ellengaest@boatbuilding.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
        Thanks for the link kayaker37..........I suppose that for those who
        have read through the article,plywood and epoxy ain't lookin' so bad
        anymore!
        I've gone ahead and printed a few copies of it to bring down to the
        club this weekend.I figure I just have to leave it hanging around the
        bar for the weekend and who knows.......might"scare" up some offers on
        my Micro before too long.:-)......
        Peter Lenihan

      • kayaker37@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
          Here is a link to the master artile list. He has two articles on Hull
          Design Defects which also talk about plywood and fiberglass design
          defects. I just glanced them over, but he seems to point out the need
          for appropriate sized fillets at bulkhead intersections, and other
          goodies. Plenty of good reading ahead.

          http://www.yachtsurvey.com/articleslist.htm

          Paul