Re: Where's the beef?

  • cha62759@traverse.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
      Many thanks Kayaker37 for posting this website. I remember the
      chopper
      gun boats of early fibreglass days which could hardly get out of port
      but this revelation takes the cake. One only wishes he could look
      over the names represented in that field of boats. The moral of the
      story,I guess, is that you have to carefully determine the reputation
      of the builder of any fibreglass boat you might be interested in and
      then you have to take it on faith. I am presently negotiating the
      purchase of a Cape Dory Typhoon and am comfortable with the
      reputation
      of the old Cape Dory company. As to the revelence to this site I see
      lot of the people on this site looking for the cheapest way to build
      the least amount of boat and the lesson is "cheap doesn't
      necessarily pay". Using lauan underlayment or reducing the scantlings
      to save cost are equivalent to the above swindles.

      Thanks again.

      Bob Chamberland

      --- In bolger@y..., kayaker37@h... wrote:

      > I have a deposit on an Edey and Duff Dovekie, so I decided to do
      some
      > research on how to tell quality fiberglass work. I came across a
      site
      > with an article called "Are They Fiberglass Boats Anymore?" by
      David
    • jmbell@mindspring.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
        Whoa! An I thought Sea Rays were supposed to be higher quality than
        the rest...

        I wonder how a boat built out of 1/2" AC Fir or BC pine plywood
        sheathed with 6 oz. fiberglass set in epoxy would fare in the
        conditions that damaged all the boats in the article? Anyone want to
        bet against the plywood boat being more durable?

        JB in Kennesaw <><

      • ellengaest@boatbuilding.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
          Thanks for the link kayaker37..........I suppose that for those who
          have read through the article,plywood and epoxy ain't lookin' so bad
          anymore!
          I've gone ahead and printed a few copies of it to bring down to the
          club this weekend.I figure I just have to leave it hanging around the
          bar for the weekend and who knows.......might"scare" up some offers on
          my Micro before too long.:-)......
          Peter Lenihan

        • kayaker37@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
            Here is a link to the master artile list. He has two articles on Hull
            Design Defects which also talk about plywood and fiberglass design
            defects. I just glanced them over, but he seems to point out the need
            for appropriate sized fillets at bulkhead intersections, and other
            goodies. Plenty of good reading ahead.

            http://www.yachtsurvey.com/articleslist.htm

            Paul