Re: Where's the beef?

  • richard@spellingbusiness.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
      Every time someone asks me what I build my boats out of I reply:
      "Wood. Wood floats. Why would you build a boat out of anything else?"

      --- In bolger@y..., kayaker37@h... wrote:

      > I have a deposit on an Edey and Duff Dovekie, so I decided to do
      some
      > research on how to tell quality fiberglass work. I came across a
      site
      > with an article called "Are They Fiberglass Boats Anymore?" by
      David

    • cha62759@traverse.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
        Many thanks Kayaker37 for posting this website. I remember the
        chopper
        gun boats of early fibreglass days which could hardly get out of port
        but this revelation takes the cake. One only wishes he could look
        over the names represented in that field of boats. The moral of the
        story,I guess, is that you have to carefully determine the reputation
        of the builder of any fibreglass boat you might be interested in and
        then you have to take it on faith. I am presently negotiating the
        purchase of a Cape Dory Typhoon and am comfortable with the
        reputation
        of the old Cape Dory company. As to the revelence to this site I see
        lot of the people on this site looking for the cheapest way to build
        the least amount of boat and the lesson is "cheap doesn't
        necessarily pay". Using lauan underlayment or reducing the scantlings
        to save cost are equivalent to the above swindles.

        Thanks again.

        Bob Chamberland

      • jmbell@mindspring.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
          Whoa! An I thought Sea Rays were supposed to be higher quality than
          the rest...

          I wonder how a boat built out of 1/2" AC Fir or BC pine plywood
          sheathed with 6 oz. fiberglass set in epoxy would fare in the
          conditions that damaged all the boats in the article? Anyone want to
          bet against the plywood boat being more durable?

          JB in Kennesaw <><

        • ellengaest@boatbuilding.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
            Thanks for the link kayaker37..........I suppose that for those who
            have read through the article,plywood and epoxy ain't lookin' so bad
            anymore!
            I've gone ahead and printed a few copies of it to bring down to the
            club this weekend.I figure I just have to leave it hanging around the
            bar for the weekend and who knows.......might"scare" up some offers on
            my Micro before too long.:-)......
            Peter Lenihan

          • kayaker37@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
              Here is a link to the master artile list. He has two articles on Hull
              Design Defects which also talk about plywood and fiberglass design
              defects. I just glanced them over, but he seems to point out the need
              for appropriate sized fillets at bulkhead intersections, and other
              goodies. Plenty of good reading ahead.

              http://www.yachtsurvey.com/articleslist.htm

              Paul