Re: Where's the beef?

  • pvanderw@optonline.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
      > I have a deposit on an Edey and Duff Dovekie, so I decided to do
      some research on how to tell quality fiberglass work.

      E&D have a reputation for quality work, and I doubt that you will
      find fault with any of the layup. I did think that there were
      fiberglass parts that were at risk of being damaged around docks, etc.

      PHV
    • richard@spellingbusiness.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
        Every time someone asks me what I build my boats out of I reply:
        "Wood. Wood floats. Why would you build a boat out of anything else?"

        --- In bolger@y..., kayaker37@h... wrote:

        > I have a deposit on an Edey and Duff Dovekie, so I decided to do
        some
        > research on how to tell quality fiberglass work. I came across a
        site
        > with an article called "Are They Fiberglass Boats Anymore?" by
        David

      • cha62759@traverse.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
          Many thanks Kayaker37 for posting this website. I remember the
          chopper
          gun boats of early fibreglass days which could hardly get out of port
          but this revelation takes the cake. One only wishes he could look
          over the names represented in that field of boats. The moral of the
          story,I guess, is that you have to carefully determine the reputation
          of the builder of any fibreglass boat you might be interested in and
          then you have to take it on faith. I am presently negotiating the
          purchase of a Cape Dory Typhoon and am comfortable with the
          reputation
          of the old Cape Dory company. As to the revelence to this site I see
          lot of the people on this site looking for the cheapest way to build
          the least amount of boat and the lesson is "cheap doesn't
          necessarily pay". Using lauan underlayment or reducing the scantlings
          to save cost are equivalent to the above swindles.

          Thanks again.

          Bob Chamberland

        • jmbell@mindspring.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
            Whoa! An I thought Sea Rays were supposed to be higher quality than
            the rest...

            I wonder how a boat built out of 1/2" AC Fir or BC pine plywood
            sheathed with 6 oz. fiberglass set in epoxy would fare in the
            conditions that damaged all the boats in the article? Anyone want to
            bet against the plywood boat being more durable?

            JB in Kennesaw <><

          • ellengaest@boatbuilding.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
              Thanks for the link kayaker37..........I suppose that for those who
              have read through the article,plywood and epoxy ain't lookin' so bad
              anymore!
              I've gone ahead and printed a few copies of it to bring down to the
              club this weekend.I figure I just have to leave it hanging around the
              bar for the weekend and who knows.......might"scare" up some offers on
              my Micro before too long.:-)......
              Peter Lenihan

            • kayaker37@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
                Here is a link to the master artile list. He has two articles on Hull
                Design Defects which also talk about plywood and fiberglass design
                defects. I just glanced them over, but he seems to point out the need
                for appropriate sized fillets at bulkhead intersections, and other
                goodies. Plenty of good reading ahead.

                http://www.yachtsurvey.com/articleslist.htm

                Paul