Where's the beef?

  • kayaker37@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2001
      I have a deposit on an Edey and Duff Dovekie, so I decided to do some
      research on how to tell quality fiberglass work. I came across a site
      with an article called "Are They Fiberglass Boats Anymore?" by David
      Pascoe , Marine Surveyor.

      In the article, he talks of looking over a large field of badly
      damaged boats caught in relatively minor storms. Most of the damage
      was done by very poor workmanship, and he was able to rib the sides
      off some of the boats with only his fingertips. He mentions that
      todays "advanced composite boats" contain little fiberglass, and lots
      of filler. Anyway, I don't know if this exactly fits the forum or
      not, but if your interested check out the article at

      http://www.yachtsurvey.com/Fiberglass_Boats.htm

      I have crossposted this to a couple of sites, because I felt it is a
      very good article.
    • pvanderw@optonline.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
        > I have a deposit on an Edey and Duff Dovekie, so I decided to do
        some research on how to tell quality fiberglass work.

        E&D have a reputation for quality work, and I doubt that you will
        find fault with any of the layup. I did think that there were
        fiberglass parts that were at risk of being damaged around docks, etc.

        PHV
      • richard@spellingbusiness.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
          Every time someone asks me what I build my boats out of I reply:
          "Wood. Wood floats. Why would you build a boat out of anything else?"

        • cha62759@traverse.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
            Many thanks Kayaker37 for posting this website. I remember the
            chopper
            gun boats of early fibreglass days which could hardly get out of port
            but this revelation takes the cake. One only wishes he could look
            over the names represented in that field of boats. The moral of the
            story,I guess, is that you have to carefully determine the reputation
            of the builder of any fibreglass boat you might be interested in and
            then you have to take it on faith. I am presently negotiating the
            purchase of a Cape Dory Typhoon and am comfortable with the
            reputation
            of the old Cape Dory company. As to the revelence to this site I see
            lot of the people on this site looking for the cheapest way to build
            the least amount of boat and the lesson is "cheap doesn't
            necessarily pay". Using lauan underlayment or reducing the scantlings
            to save cost are equivalent to the above swindles.

            Thanks again.

            Bob Chamberland

          • jmbell@mindspring.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
              Whoa! An I thought Sea Rays were supposed to be higher quality than
              the rest...

              I wonder how a boat built out of 1/2" AC Fir or BC pine plywood
              sheathed with 6 oz. fiberglass set in epoxy would fare in the
              conditions that damaged all the boats in the article? Anyone want to
              bet against the plywood boat being more durable?

              JB in Kennesaw <><

            • ellengaest@boatbuilding.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
                Thanks for the link kayaker37..........I suppose that for those who
                have read through the article,plywood and epoxy ain't lookin' so bad
                anymore!
                I've gone ahead and printed a few copies of it to bring down to the
                club this weekend.I figure I just have to leave it hanging around the
                bar for the weekend and who knows.......might"scare" up some offers on
                my Micro before too long.:-)......
                Peter Lenihan

              • kayaker37@hotmail.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
                  Here is a link to the master artile list. He has two articles on Hull
                  Design Defects which also talk about plywood and fiberglass design
                  defects. I just glanced them over, but he seems to point out the need
                  for appropriate sized fillets at bulkhead intersections, and other
                  goodies. Plenty of good reading ahead.

                  http://www.yachtsurvey.com/articleslist.htm

                  Paul