Re: Water Filled Floaters

  • Lincoln Ross
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31 10:51 AM
      I think you may have to take some samples. Alternatively, you can
      swamp your boat and see how it floats/sinks! I wonder if you could use
      one of those gadgets meant to measure soil moisture. THese are
      very cheap, and kind of like a long needle and work by electrical
      conductivity, or maybe some kind of corrosion effect, as they don't
      seem to have a battery. Could probably stab into foam thru 1/4" hole.
      If you take my advice, I would hope you could find another source
      for this gadget than Home Despot. Otherwise 10 years from now, the
      only lumber/hardware items you will be able to buy will be 1/2" ply,
      16d nails, and offwhite latex paint. Anything else will be some kind
      of special or mail order. And you'll still have to drive 15 miles to
      the megastore that they will consolidate into after driving out all
      the good places.
      --- In bolger@y..., jtamez@c... wrote:
      > How can I determine if the Foam is Waterlogged???
      >

      > "Lincoln Ross" <lincolnr@m...> on 05/30/2001 12:08:11 PM
      >
      > Please respond to bolger@y...
      >
      > To: bolger@y...
      > cc: (bcc: Josue Tamez/DRL)
      >
      > Subject: [bolger] Re: Water Filled Floaters
      >

      > I think it's probably a good idea to see if the foam is waterlogged
      and if it
      > drains out. Wen I was a kid we had a boat which theoretically had
      positive
      > floatation, but it sank at the dock several times when the waves
      filled it. If
      > the foam won't drain, you'd better replace it. I should think the
      fiberglass
      > piece would peel right off when properly persuaded at one edge. Foam
      isn't very
      > strong.
      > --- In bolger@y..., tetherin@j... wrote:
      > > --- In bolger@y..., jtamez@c... wrote:
      > > Josh
      > >
      > > Maybe my experience can help you. I have a 17 foot daysailer
      which
      > > an outer hull and an inner hull sandwiched together. Water got in
      > > between the hulls and there is no way to get it out. I drilled a
      > > small hole (about 3/8 inch) in the bottom of the boat at the
      lowest
      > > point and let the water drain. After giving it time to dry (all
      > > winter) I plugged up the hole with epoxy. Problem solved.
      > >
      > > I don't see why you want to take the foam out. It was probably a
      > > solid piece glued in place before they assembled the two halves of
      > > the fiberglass floaters. It would be easier and cheaper to do it
      > > that way. Unless there is some other damage to the foam, the
      water
      > > won't hurt it. Just let the water out and plug up the hole.>
      Hello,

      > > > I have a 22ft Sun Runner Cuddy Cabin, model 1980. The boat has
      one
      > > > big floater on each side of the bilge (total 2), each floater
      size
      > > is
      > > > aprox. 1ft (high) x 2ft (wide) x 9ft (long). The inside part of
      the
      > > > boat (also made of fiberglass) covers these floaters,
      > > > I think the boat was assembled and then the floater (liquid) was
      > > > inserted thrugh some holes. Those holes (1 inch -diameter) have
      > > > come loose and water has gone inside the compartment. I figure
      > > cut
      > > > some of the cover to extract the foam and the water,
      > > > I made a cut about 5 inches from the bilge floor and water came
      > > out,
      > > > about one pint, but after cutting a big chunk of the
      > > > "inside cover fiberglass", it doesn't come loose, I figure
      because
      > > > the foam is glued somehow to the cover.
      > > > The foam is not all wet, only from the bilge to about 10-14
      inches
      > > > from the bilge is wet, the other parts (close to the sides) are
      not
      > > > wet.
      > > >
      > > > My questions are:
      > > > 1.- Should I open this compartment to take out the water or
      should
      > > > leave the floaters as they are???
      > > > 2.- If the answer of #1 is yes, then how do I separate
      > > > the "fiberglass cover" from the foam???
      > > > should I make several small cuts (1.5-2 ft2) to separate them???
      > > > 3.- What foam do I use to replace the old foam???
      > > > 4.- How wide should the fiberglass patch cover the cut I've
      done???

      > > > Thank you in advance.... I really hope somebody can give me some
      > > > direction...
      > > >
      > > > Josh

      > - no flogging dead horses
      > - stay on topic and punctuate
      > - To order plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester,
      MA, 01930,

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/