Re: oar "leathers" too late now I guess

  • pateson@colton.com
    Message 1 of 8 , May 30, 2001
      Read you have already done "Leathers" Most likely will be just
      fine. My messages above told how to wrap without using brads.
      "Bradless" method pretty cool, neat, and lots of fun once you get the
      hang of it.

      Good luck, and happy boating.

      Pat Patteson
      Molalla, oregon

      --- In bolger@y..., "Michael Galvin" <michaelgalvin@h...> wrote:
      > Thanks to all who replied to my search for ideas on
      oar "leathers." I
      > decided to wrap the loom with 1/8th inch braided dacron. I used
      small brads
      > to fix in place the starting wrap and the ending wrap. I saturated
      it all
      > with epoxy. I'm now varnishing the oars and the "leathers" with
      Helmsman
      > spar varnish. It looks pretty good so far. I'll upload some
      pictures of my
      > oars and newly built June Bug soon.
      >
      > Michael Galvin

      Michalak's
      > plans, which are based on R.D. "Pete" Cullers designs. Now I'm
      looking for
      > ideas on oar "leathers."
      >
      > Dynamite Payson in "Build the New Instant Boats" recommends
      synthetic line
      > saturated with epoxy. Jim Michalak recommends "synthetic mason's
      twine"
      > saturated with varnish. He describes mason's twine as something
      3/32 inch
      > diameter. The only stuff I can find at Home Depot is something
      like 1/16
      > inch diameter. Dave Carnell suggests two wraps of "double knit
      polyester
      > fabric" saturated with epoxy.
      >
      > Anyone out there have any experience with such do-it-yourself oar
      > "leathers"?
      >
      > Can anyone suggest where I might find "mason's twine", perhaps by
      some other
      > name?
      >
      > Michael Galvin
      > Muskegon, MI

      > - no flogging dead horses
      > - stay on topic and punctuate
      > - To order plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester,
      MA,

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/