Multiple groundings and other tricks......

  • ellengaest@boatbuilding.com
    Message 1 of 6 , May 27, 2001
      Bolgerados,
      The rain never arrived yesterday although the sky did sneeze a
      couple of times which had me reaching for my rain gear...false alarms!
      With the winds very very light(too light to make headway against
      the current),I decided to motor around and take advantage of the
      relative tranquility afforded by the almost eery absense of the
      plastic powerboat gang.It appears that they take weather forcasts more
      seriously then I.
      As I slowly puttered along past the rows of silent quaies all
      boxed in by these plastic powerboats my thoughts drifted around until
      finally coming to rest on the awareness of the extremely low water
      being experienced up in this neck of the woods.Wishing to explore
      further the implications of this low water state,I eased my Micro out
      of the channel and headed toward some interesting nooks.
      Now,normally our water levels in springtime would be about a
      meter and a half over chart datum and boaters can safely go just about
      anywhere without charts right up to a beachhead.Not such a bad thing
      however an awful lot of boaters seem to forget that the water level
      generally goes down as the summer wears on and this leads to some
      expensive repair work to propellers and lower units for those not
      carrying charts!Today,the water level is a scant 39cms(15 1/2") over
      datum and the big boys better not leave the channel!
      My first nook was the bank of the original canal dug up for use
      by the French and British during the fur trade.This little canal,no
      more then a glorified trench really,would later become the Lachine
      canal and serve as the gateway for opening up the rest of
      Canada.Pointing my bow toward the banks,I idled in toward the location
      of the Hudson Bay Trading companys' fur warehouse.This large
      fieldstone building served as the"end of the line" for the many
      coureurs de bois(trappers) as they made their way down the Ottawa
      River and then down the St.Lawrence(the little stretch known as Lac
      St.Louis) with their canoes piled high with beaver pelts.Thanks to the
      efforts of various agencies,the building remains intact pretty much in
      its' original state and one can easily imagine the relief felt by the
      trappers when they would finally lay eyes on this structure after
      months of nothing but forests and streams.
      I was a mere 20 feet from the shore when the first dull thud
      announced the arrival of the bottom.With virtually little headway
      on,my Micro came to a gentle halt.Looking over the sides,the rock
      strewn bottom was wonderfully visible through the knee-deep
      water.Thanks to the early time of season,the weeds have yet to grow to
      obstruct ones view!Thanks also to the fact that the boat draws more
      then the engine,no harm occurs to the propeller!
      Finding myself temporarily"anchored",I reached into the cooler
      for something wet,cracked it open and sat down to enjoy the
      view.With little effort,my thoughts were filled with imaginary scenes
      of the banks crowded with large canoes and men shouting as they
      hustled their pelts into the warehouse to be sorted.It must have been
      an exciting moment with the air filled with the busy sounds of
      French,English and Iroquois voices!Unfortunately,the air must have
      also been filled with the ubiquitous mayfly and though the coureurs de
      bois have long since vanished into the mists of history,the mayfly
      lives on to pester romantic fools drawn to the rivers edge.As I take
      my last gulp of wet and the boat becomes covered in lusty mayflies,I
      decide to"weigh anchor".Starting the motor,I put the gear into
      reverse.Then,as I make my way forward,the boat slowly sinks by the
      head,the keel kisses the rocky bottom goodbye and we slowly proceed
      backward toward deeper water.
      This particular maneuver is one which I have used time and again
      when I have accidently or intentionally embraced the bottom.It has
      never failed me and is due to the pronounced rocker of the Micro
      bottom combined with the full lenght keel that rises up to almost zero
      at the bow.The robust constuction of my keel( ;-) ) gives me the
      confidence to do so with impunity.
      Once back in deeper water,I head off toward the newly restored
      lock gates of the later Lachine canal.This is the canal built to
      handle commercial shipping headed toward the Great Lakes and built to
      circumvent the nasty Lachine Rapids.Last used in the very early
      '70s,its' demise was singled with the opening of the St.Lawrence
      Seaway in 1958.Today,thanks to the financial support of three levels
      of government ie;public funds,it is undergoing a major refit and will
      see use again as a pleasure boat canal.
      As I approach the lock walls,I am at first impressed with the
      attempts to re-create the style of construction through the use of cut
      rock blocks.No poured concrete here!Inching further into the lock
      chamber,I notice that the gates themselves however,have been made from
      huge bits of pressure treated lumber.No sickly sweet aroma of creosote
      to tickle the memory!Pity really,
      although I suppose the environmentalists applaud the absence of
      creosote leaching into the water.........
      In short time I have come to the very end of the lock chamber and find
      myself staring up at the huge gates which effectively block my way.Not
      wishing to linger any longer then neccessary(there may be construction
      men about and the canal is not yet"officially" open!) and slowly going
      deaf from the echoing rattle of my motor on the rock walls,I put both
      the motor and helm hard over.As if pivoting on a pinhead,my Micro
      spins a neat 180 within her own lenght and we point our noses right
      back out the way we came in.A very handy technigue!
      As the walls slide by, my eyes see the ever broadening vista
      afforded by the approaching opening to the canal.What a treat!This
      must have represented an exciting vision for the earlier passengers as
      they made their way Westward.What adventures and wide open sceneries
      awaited those weary European eyes as they were carried ever deeper
      into the heart of this vast land yet unspoiled by the busy activities
      of industry and commerce.With their thoughts filled with stories about
      the"wild savages" who live in animal skin tents and wait in the thick
      underbrush to ambush the whiteman,it must have been exciting indeed!
      Fortunately,they all remained safely ensconced within the tight
      quarters of their cabins,far from the dangers,thanks to the
      overwhelming presence of......................the mayfly!
      And thanks to a reasonably full and very cold cooler,I can remain
      calm enough to enjoy the luxury of puttering around in my Micro
      right through hords of those pesky critters!
      Sincerely,
      Peter Lenihan,lulled almost into dreamland by the gentle tapping of
      raindrops on the window,from the shores of the St.Lawrence......
    • djost@ma.ultranet.com
      Message 2 of 6 , May 27, 2001
        Peter,
        That is what I love about sailing. the pace of the activity and
        the silence or at least low DB, allow one to think and ponder great
        or small thoughts.
        After reading your delightful story, I bolted out of the house
        and into the garage to resume work on "Firefly". I now have
        watertight bulkheads at A and D, and a complete keel assembly.
        Climbing in and out of the bow compartment is quite and adventure.
        More Kama Sutra stuff. After the parade tomorrow morning I hope to
        glass the outsides completely. Everything is relatively smooth and
        fair at present.
        You motivated me!
        Thanks,
        David Jost
        "scrubbing off the epoxy with Lava soap. It really works quite
        well, much more tame than solvents."

        snip.

        Message 3 of 6 , May 27, 2001
          David,
          Glad to read that things are moving along smartly with your Micro
          FIREFLY.I wish you continued success and look forward to seeing
          FIREFLY(finished or not ;-D ) at the LAKE CHAMPLAIN BOLGER MESSABOUT.
          Playing around in small boats does encourage us to slow down just
          enough to allow more pleasant thoughts to percolate up to our
          conscious mind......almost the way they used to arrive spontaneously
          when we were swaddled in the innocent cloth of childhood.Good
          medicine!!
          Go easy with the Karma Sutra,my friend,lest you forget all about
          the tasks at hand!
          Sincerely,
          Peter Lenihan...............

        • cha62759@traverse.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2001
            Hi Peter,
            Off the trend of this website however in line with my coming to grips
            with roots so to speak....I have recently read the only book on
            Canadian history available in Traverse City and environs "The
            Illustrated History of Canada" edited by Craig Brown I'm ready for the
            next level of detail. Any recommendations?

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1, 2001
              Hello cha62759,
              Gee, that is a tough one! I was schooled with books only on
              American history and though I found it strange I just assumed that my
              neighbors to the south were schooled in Canadian history.Most of what
              I know about Canadian history has been scavenged from rainy day
              visits to various museums but if you're serious,I can scounge up some
              good titles for you.
              I'll have them for you after the weekend is over.
              Sincerely,
              Peter Lenihan

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 3, 2001
                --- In bolger@y..., ellengaest@b... wrote:

                if you're serious,I can scounge up
                some
                > good titles for you.
                > I'll have them for you after the weekend is over.
                > Sincerely,
                Peter Lenihan
                Hi Peter,
                I am and I would appreciate your assistance but I don't want you to
                make a project of it. Thanks again,

                Sincerely, Bob Chamberland