Re: designers with thin skins

  • pvanderw@optonline.net
    Message 1 of 19 , May 26, 2001
      > Was I wrong or can I assume that the book
      > was just a discounted way of buying lots of plans?

      In a way yes, and in a way no. I don't believe that there is any
      issue of misuse of intellectual property involved in building the
      boat from the plans in the book. The entire plan with step by step
      instructions is printed and there is no caution about buying building
      rights.

      On the other hand, Bolger clearly had a lot to say the was included
      with the book that you wouldn't get even if you bought all the plans
      one by one. So it was not "just" a discounted way of buying lots of
      plans.

      I bought the plans from Bolger when I had my CJ built. The only
      reason to buy a set is for the (very great) convenience of being able
      to lay a rule on the plans to measure this or that. And of course,
      wear and tear on a book now worth several times its purchase price on
      the used book market.

      PEter