re; pirogue

  • Rique@paradise.net.nz
    Message 1 of 3 , May 11, 2001
      Thanx for all the input to my original question, it gives me some
      more perspective to help with my decision.

      my next thoughts are that if it is as stable as most of you have
      said, (except for you, Gregg, but could you not sit on the side-deck
      to stack out?) why not put a bigger sail on it? I like the sound of
      the 44' lateen sail that Ray mentioned, anyone have the dimentions?
      Just looking at the pictures, the pirogue (why not call it what it
      looks like to me, a canoe?) looks like it could be a bit under-
      powered. Any comments?

      Thanx again,
      Rique
    • Ray Worob
      Message 2 of 3 , May 12, 2001
        I don't have the dimensions of the ACA 44 sq ft sail, but you can go to
        www.enter.net/~skimmer/ and check out the ACA page info and photos. I'm sure
        someone attached to that site could give you the specs. Although I'm a
        novice at this, if you wanted to go with the ACA sail and then wanted more
        power, particularly in light winds, you might consider a small jib. I
        believe that Bob Halsey who is considered by the ACA folks as a Guru of
        sorts, uses a 44 ft ACA sail and an 11 ft jib when he races in the 55 sq ft
        C Class canoesail races. Also, if the 11 ft (or more) jib had a furling
        attachment, you could increase or decrease the size easily from your seat in
        the piroque. My last novice comment is that you might want to consider
        having a narrower side deck, maybe 3 inches max so that in moderate winds
        you can just slide your weight over closer to the rail inside the piroque,
        similar to a canoe, and not have to get up on top except in heavier winds.
        Makes for a more relaxing (but still spirited) sail. Please keep me up to
        date on your progress since I am also considering building the piroque. Ray

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2001
          I recently launched a six hour canoe with a lateen sale based on
          the aca rig. The sail worked very well but keep in mind that the
          gaff is over 11ft. long which is a little troublsome if you are
          trying to stow it while underway. The sale was fabricated out of
          ripstop nylon from the local fabric store on a houshold sewing
          machine. We used the spar dimesions from one of the aca web sites
          and layed out the sail backwards from there. Although the six hour
          canoe is not a Bolger design it is very simmilar in construction. I
          just recieved the plans for the pirogue and plan to build one in July.

          Jim