Spars - Paint or varnish? - also 'f-----g artists'

  • Samson Family
    Message 1 of 2 , May 5, 2001
      I'd go for varnish every time - Contrary to what you might expect, paint
      shows up flaws and irregularities MUCH more than varnish does. So - you win
      both ways with varnish - people think you're brave to have used it - a real
      craftsman - AND you can get away with a lot more!

      On the subject of the WB article on SNAME, PE quals and so on - Nobody in
      their right mind is gonna sue a boat designer - They're all as poor as
      church mice. The boatbuilder is a much juicier target. Also - what builder
      ever followed the design to the letter? What owner ever used the boat
      precisely as specified? These variations let the designer off the hook very
      nicely, I suspect. So is this all just a puff of righteous indignation,
      soon to be forgotten?

      Personally, I'll continue to build boats designed by 'amateurs and looneys',
      as the SNAME supporter called them, to say nothing of 'f-----g artists' .
      Much more interesting people, and designs in my view.

      Talking of which, has anybody out there ever come across ANY small craft
      design by Andy Davis ( - the guy who badmouths dead designers -), never mind
      an interesting design? I bet Davis can hardly wait until PCB shuffles off
      this mortal coil, so he can write an article badmouthing his designs with no
      chance of retaliation.

      Bill
    • John Bell
      Message 2 of 2 , May 5, 2001
        I bet Davis can hardly wait until PCB shuffles off
        | this mortal coil, so he can write an article badmouthing his designs with
        no
        | chance of retaliation.

        No chance!? Not if Suzanne A. is still around. Davis won't know what hit
        him!

        JB