Re: pirogue

  • bgbeck55@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 23 , May 3, 2001
      Rique,
      If you do an "Archive Search" with the word "Pirogue" you'll
      find what's already been posted. Most of it was in 1999. You can also
      see a finished "Pirogue" at:
      http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/articles/csdpirogue/index.htm
      Like you, I have a high opinion of this design, even though I
      haven't been able to build one yet. When you get your plans, buy them
      from Bolger himself. You'll get better advice than you'll get from
      Common Sense Designs. The new owner is a bit spotty when it comes to
      advice.
      Cheers,
      Bruce

    • garth@breakawaybooks.com
      Message 2 of 23 , May 4, 2001
        --- In bolger@y..., Rique@p... wrote:
        > The Bolger boat that appeals most to me is his 16'pirogue.

        Rique –

        I've just recently been bitten by the "sailing pirogue" bug myself.
        Two weekends ago, I built the Michalak Piragua (14' X 32") purely for
        paddling use – and as soon as it was 3-D, I found myself wanting to
        put a sail on her. So I've stumbled into researching sailing
        pirogues. I've got the mast step and partner installed now (stealing
        rig geometry details from study plans of the Bolger Pirogue, scaled
        to fit the smaller boat), and the pivoting leeboard designed. Still
        need to built the mast (birdsmouth) and cut the sail (white polytarp)
        -- and in a week or two I hope I'll have a sailing report for you.

        I see the Bolger Pirogue has two or three inches of side decking –
        something I haven't installed – just fore and aft 3' flotation
        compartments w/hatches -- but if I find a lot of water coming over
        when heeled, I may add side decking and a little coaming later.

        I love the idea of the pirogue – a boat easily cartoppable by one
        guy; good for quick after-work sails, or for long family paddles on a
        Saturday afternoon; easy to stow a lightweight double-ended paddle to
        get home when the wind dies; shallow draft for poking about wherever
        you like; the pivoting leeboard allows you not to fret about sailing
        out of the channel; sails fast when the wind is up; short spars for
        easy stowage, etc. Seems like a dreamy proposition. They're the
        easiest boats to build, too.

        Andy Farquhar steered me to the Yahoo "sailing_canoes" e-group, which
        has been like Alice falling down the rabbit hole – there's a
        fascinating world of canoe-sailing enthusiasts out there.

        Beyond recommending that you do Google searches for "sailing pirogue"
        and "Bolger pirogue" and roam through the results, here are a few
        good links. Unfortunately none of them give a full report on your
        main question: what's the Bolger Pirogue like? But you can
        triangulate a lot from what's here.

        One man's funny and informative stories of sailing a Mike's Cajun
        Pirogue:
        http://www.boatkits.com/boat/mike/default.htm

        Canoe Sailing Resources page (by Craig O'Donnell):
        http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fassitt/canoe_mirror/canoe_sa
        iling.html

        A good Jim Michalak article on making a pivoting leeboard:
        http: marina.fortunecity.com/breakwater/274/1998/0615

        Keep us apprised if you come across any other good info – I'm very
        curious, and suspect there may be others on the list who'd like to
        give the Bolger Sailing Pirogue a try.

        All best,
        Garth
      • drewnel@pcpartner.net
        Message 3 of 23 , May 4, 2001
          I made a shortened (12') version of the pirogue but without the
          sailing rig. Even short, it's an incredible boat. I went places I
          never thought I could. If I were interested in building another
          boat, the 16'sailing/rowing/paddling pirogue would be my choice.

          Drew

        • binksboats@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 23 , May 4, 2001
            Rique,

            I LOVE my 16' pirogue. I added hatches to the top of the fore
            and aft decks, a pivoting rudder and leeboard and a line from either
            side of the rudder clear around the decks to con her from anywhere in
            the cockpit. The best way to sail her is facing forward, but if you
            are heeled over for a long time its best to wedge a cushion against
            the edge of the deck. The rig fits in the bottom and I put a
            removable seat just aft of the mid-frame to paddle or row her. Rowing
            has been a disapointment because the outriggers wobble too much with
            the two bolts shown on the plans that fasten them to the sides.
            I'm thinking of a better way to fasten them. Paddling is great...for
            a flat-bottomed boat it tracks straight and far. I also have two
            seats fore and aft to paddle her like a canoe. Everything comes out
            for pure sailing. Its a little heavy for one person to get it on the
            van. I keep scraping the paint off the back of the roof. I'm having a
            rack built that fits into the trailer receiver like a bicycle carrier
            and has rollers on top. I'll post pics when its done if it does the
            trick.

            Bink.
            --- In bolger@y..., Rique@p... wrote:
            > Hi I'm a new member living on the Hauraki Gulf in New Zealand. I am
            > just about to finish building a Wharram outrigger canoe and I am
            > looking around for my next project. The Bolger boat that appeals
            most
            > to me is his 16'pirogue. My question is, with all the entries in
            > these lists about so many boats, and how they perform, this one
            > hardly gets a mention! How come? Has anyone out there had any
            > experiances sailing one? If so how about letting me in on the
            secret.
            > If not experiance, how about some theory, ie why would it not sail
            at
            > least as well as say june bug which is 2' shorter and with the same
            > beam? etc.
            >
            > I would love to hear some opinions on the subject.
            >
            > Thanx,
            > Rique
          • Michael Surface
            Message 5 of 23 , May 5, 2001
              >From: garth@...
              >To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [bolger] Re: pirogue
              >Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 13:03:25 -0000

              >Keep us apprised if you come across any other good info � I'm very
              >curious, and suspect there may be others on the list who'd like to
              >give the Bolger Sailing Pirogue a try.
              >
              >All best,
              >Garth

              A very good source on sails for canoes (also applicible for pirogues)
              is Canoe Rig by Told Bradshaw. It is informative and the illistrations are
              a work of art. I is available at most bookstores (Borders for one) and
              Amazon.com. It is also availible from Woodenboat at www.woodenboat.com

              Michael Surface
            • Jim Chamberlin RCSIS
              Message 6 of 23 , May 5, 2001
                Hey, folks.

                Where might I find a drawing or study plan, etc. of the pirogue? I checked
                the Payson web site, nothing there. Did I miss something?

                Jim

              • Jim Chamberlin RCSIS
                Message 7 of 23 , May 5, 2001
                  Bink,

                  Hi....interested in the pirogue. I need an easily built truck topper that I
                  can paddle and sail on impulse and that will live on my roof rack.

                  Pictures, or a source of info would be appreciated. I checked the Payson
                  web site and couldn't find anything. Web links, too.

                  Thanks,

                  Jim C.

                • Chuck Leinweber
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 5, 2001
                    Jim:

                    try this link:

                    http://www.common-sense-boats.com/boats/Canoes_&_kayaks/pirogue.htm

                    Chuck

                  • lukecurran@hotmail.com
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 5, 2001
                      Try Commonsense Boats in the Bookmarks section of this group for
                      details of the plans etc. but the latest advice on this group is to
                      get the plans direct from Bolger. Other posters will give you more
                      details on personal pages with details of the boat.

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • lukecurran@hotmail.com
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 5, 2001
                        Also in Bookmarks try 'Bolger boats on the web' for two different
                        pirogues. It's the 16footer that we're discussing here.

                      • david galvin
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 5, 2001
                          Buried somewhere in the depths of Duckworks Magazine is a little
                          article I did on my 16' Pirogue. Mine is bright finished luan
                          (meranti) 1/4" plywood, with a daggerboard slot and a few other minor
                          changes. If I were to build it again (and I might) I would try to make
                          it as lightweight as possible. As built it weighs more than 90 lbs., a
                          trifle too heavy for me to lift onto roof racks by myself. Also,
                          sailing in rocky Catskill and Adirondack lakes with a daggerboard
                          sticking two feet underwater makes me nervous, so I would fashion a
                          removable pivoting leeboard.

                          It sails very well, except downwind, where the boomless sprit rig
                          insists on jibing unpredictably. I understand that this is is a common
                          fault of the rig no matter what boat it is on. I made my sail from a
                          Sailrite kit in one evening. The spars fit inside the boat for
                          paddling or rowing. I find the oarlock outriggers function well as
                          designed, but perhaps I lucky when I built them. The boat tracks dead
                          straight when paddled or rowed, and turns majestically. Don't expect
                          quick kayak-like handling unless you leave off the skeg and the keel
                          shoe (which I suspect is structural). There's room in the cockpit for
                          one person to sleep, two or three to paddle. My boat has about 2/3's
                          of the specified flotation and floats fully swamped with 6" of
                          freeboard. Thanks to the side decks it is very difficult to swamp the
                          boat anyway, except deliberately.

                          The Pirogue uses four sheets of plywood and about 30 board feet of
                          lumber. The prototype was reportedly built in sixteen hours by a
                          professional, but mine took a month of part-time work. I included a
                          lot of details to conceal plywood edges and such, but as drawn, the
                          construction is skiff simple. The only real challenge, if you can call
                          it that, is the deck, which can be a little fussy to fit. The steering
                          system works fine as designed. I didn't like the fixed leeboard, and
                          didn't build it.

                          I am plotting to rebuilt this design out of occume plywood, perhaps
                          4mm, with cedar framing and sealed flotation chambers in lieu of foam.
                          That should get its weight down to a reasonable sixtyish pounds, but
                          may weaken it unacceptably. Perhaps I'll ask Bolger for his thoughts
                          on such modifications before I jump,

                          porky
                        • StepHydro@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 6, 2001
                            In a message dated 05/06/2001 12:<BR35:<BR21 AM
                            Eastern Daylight, jchamberlin@... writes:
                            > Where might I find a drawing or study plan, etc. of the pirogue? I checked
                            > the Payson web site, nothing there. Did I miss something?

                            Haven't been following this one, but if you are looking for the Bolger Peero,
                            the plan is on Craig's pages:
                            http://www2.friend.ly.net/~dadadata/boat/bolger.html#peero

                            Cheers/Carron
                          • Ray Worob
                            Message 13 of 23 , May 6, 2001
                              Dave: Since I have considered building the 16' pirogue as a cartopper
                              sailboat to sail singlehanded, your comments were very informational.
                              However, two things still concern me. First, when you say it sails well,
                              how would you compare it to the sailing speed of a Sunfish or similar
                              sailboat. Also, like yourself, I would like the hull weight to stay under
                              70 lbs. Any future comments in this regard are welcome. Concerning your
                              sail problem downwind, last weekend I had the opportunity to sail in a
                              decked sailing canoe with a 44 sq ft ACA lateen sail. With the lateen rig we
                              had no problem downwind. Also, since it seemed to stay pretty close to a
                              sunfish that was sailing on the same tack from time to time, I think I would
                              consider that rig if I built the pirogue. Thanks again for your comments.
                              Ray

                              Message 14 of 23 , May 6, 2001
                                Bink,

                                I had the same wobbly problem with my outriggers. I did two things:
                                A third bolt near the gunwale (this is a piece of threaded rod that I
                                epoxied into the wedge). With that I still saw some flexing of the
                                sidedeck. That was solved by fitting a pair of 3/8" ply pieces under
                                the deck. These are a bit over two feet long and extend from the
                                middle frame to a ways beyond the outriggers. Now the outriggers are
                                solid.

                                My stretched (19.5 ft.)Pirogue weighs about 130 lbs including 3
                                seats. I never had much trouble getting it on my Subaru's roof racks
                                and it rode very well that way (including many long trips). In 1995
                                or thereabouts the Subaru was replaced with a van and there was no
                                way to get the thing on the roof short of hiring Mr. Atlas. It's been
                                on a trailer since. However I still use my homebuilt dolly (attaches
                                to the skeg) to get it to and from the water. Never had to get the
                                trailer wet.

                                The only other significant change I made to the boat was to add a
                                solid bulkhead about 1 ft. forward of the forward frame. I then cut
                                an opening in the forward frame to give extra leg room for the person
                                in the front seat.

                                I do occasionally use a 2 hp Honda for longer trips but the weight
                                off the side makes the boat a bit tender especially in rough waters.
                                (No problem with the electric as most of the mass is underwater and
                                the two batteries make for great ballast.) I am thinking seriously
                                about adding a pair of outrigger sponsons for stability (glassed
                                foam, perhaps 5 ft long and 6x8 inches in cross section) only when
                                using this motor.

                                Great boat - I'd never part with it.

                                Steve

                                --- In bolger@y..., binksboats@y... wrote:
                                > rowing has been a disapointment because the outriggers wobble too
                                >much with the two bolts shown on the plans that fasten them to the
                                >sides. I'm thinking of a better way to fasten them. Paddling is
                                >great...for a flat-bottomed boat it tracks straight and far. I also
                                >have two seats fore and aft to paddle her like a canoe....It's a
                                >little heavy for one person to get it on the van.
                              • Phillip Tucker
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 6, 2001
                                  Jim, Rique & others, I too love my pirogue! It is an easily built, good
                                  looking, all around boat. Mine weighs in at about 95lbs. so is just right
                                  for the wife and I to put up on the truck. Holds the two of us and weekend
                                  camping gear. Paddles like a dream. I made a few minor modifications aimed
                                  at adding strength to certain areas.(bottom,top decks). Only problems I have
                                  had is wear on the bottom of the skeg from the occasional drag up the beach.
                                  I fitted a strip of copper and all has been fine since. Be sure to use
                                  quality materials as this ones a keeper.
                                  Good luck! Phil (piroguemaniac)

                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 6, 2001
                                    http://www.clcboats.com/

                                    Carries plans for an outrigger kit for canoes and kayaks. I emailed
                                    them some time ago and the 12' wide version is supposed to be good
                                    for up to 21' canoes.

                                    I will post pictures of it.
                                  • GHC
                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 7, 2001
                                      While I didn't like sailing my Bolger Pirogue, it's a neat enough design in
                                      other respects and easy to build.

                                      I suppose sailing canoes are all quite tender; there's really no where to
                                      hike out. In any kind of breeze, it just didn't work for me. Other people
                                      really like the pirogue, though, so I would guess they either enjoy the
                                      challenge or sail in lighter breezes than we get. I would have a hard time
                                      imagining the pirogue sailing with a Sunfish, but then you can't really
                                      paddle the latter, either. Of course, everything's a compromise.

                                      I don't know if anyone noted, but Bolger's pirogue was published in
                                      "Messing About..." a few years ago.

                                      Gregg Carlson

                                    • garth@breakawaybooks.com
                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 7, 2001
                                        Here's one other mention of the Bolger Pirogue on the web. Not a lot
                                        of detail, but some nice pictures -- and an e-mail address.

                                        http://members.tripod.com/peweasel/
                                      • david galvin
                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 7, 2001
                                          Ray,

                                          To reiterate Greg's comments, a pirogue is not really comparable to a
                                          Sunfish. The Sunfish is a minimal *sail boat*. The Pirogue is a flat
                                          bottomed canoe which can be sailed, rowed or paddled (or even
                                          motored, if you care to do such a thing). A Sunfish can be sailed--
                                          that's about it. A Pirogue can be loaded with one man, two school age
                                          kids and a week's worth of camping gear and go somewhere. A Sunfish
                                          can, uh, be sailed. Maybe two people can sail on it, but they better
                                          be wearing bathing suits. It is difficult to paddle, impossible to
                                          row, and a motor would be out of the question. No doubt a Sunfish in
                                          competent hands could sail rings around a Pirogue, point higher, and
                                          outmaneuver it on a course. But that isn't the point. If you want a
                                          match race with a Sunfish there are many more suitable designs.
                                          Still, I thinks my Pirogue is a respectable sailer, given its
                                          limitations.

                                          A lanteen or other low aspect rig would suit the design quite well.
                                          Most rigs have better downwind manners than the sprit, but they
                                          usually have more and longer spars which are difficult to stow. The
                                          boat is small and easily driven, and experimenting with different
                                          rigs would not be expensive. Gather some polytarp or Tyvek and a few
                                          lengths of closet pole and have at it. Report your findings! Btw, a
                                          batwing sail would be weatherly and really really cool looking (hint
                                          hint);o)

                                          If I do build a lighter Pirogue, I will definitely post my findings,
                                          successful or not. I'm still really tempted to start a Micro, however,

                                          porky

                                          (so many boats, so little energy)

                                        • binksboats@yahoo.com
                                          Message 20 of 23 , May 7, 2001
                                            Jim,

                                            I will try to get some digital photos next weekend of the pirogue. I
                                            don't have a scanner or I'd use some of my snapshots. Hey Jboatguy,
                                            wanna go play in the Napa River? I can lift one end of the boat onto
                                            the back of the van, then slide it on, but I'm wrecking the paint
                                            above the van's hatch because the factory rack is so low. I'm hoping
                                            my custom rack/rollers will be ready this week. Thanks to the one
                                            that suggested reinforcing the deck and adding a third bolt for the
                                            outriggers. Sigh...anything to make the boat heavier. The pirogue
                                            feels very secure. I once was halfway to Angel Island from Point
                                            Richmond before common sense took over. Four foot swells in a boat
                                            with less than 12" of freeboard is not something I should be doing.
                                            Never had a problem with downwind yawing...but last Summer I was out
                                            in wind that was way too strong and the hull started surfing. Yee-Ha!

                                            Bink.

                                          • John Bell
                                            Message 21 of 23 , May 7, 2001
                                              Message 22 of 23 , May 8, 2001
                                                If you want to fly, check Beth, Kamakazi canoe yawl, which Tim Fatchen is marketing for the designer,
                                                on his schooner/square boat pages. Clyde