Re: Easiest way to get a smooth fiberglass surface?

  • kwilson800@aol.com
    Message 1 of 27 , May 2 9:47 AM
      Yep. That's why the last two boats were lapstrake plywood. Spend a
      little more for good plywood, sand a lot less. I'm getting less and
      less tolerant of sanding. The guy who wrote "Canoecraft" (Ted
      Moore?) of Bear Mountain Canoe works, can do a better job of getting
      fiberglass cloth smooth and flat than seems possible, but he hasn't
      put his secret in the books. I wish he would.

      Keith Wilson

      --- In bolger@y..., "Orr, Jamie" <jorr@b...> wrote:
      > I hate sanding epoxy . . .
      > (I've promised myself that I'm going to build a boat without
      plywood, epoxy, or glass, but I haven't done it yet.)
    • djost@ma.ultranet.com
      Message 2 of 27 , May 2 1:23 PM
        Paul,

        I have been doing keel work with the weather, as you stated,
        perfect epoxying weather. It is actually a little warm for jobs that
        require a leisure pace.

        I have run into a problem with drilling holes in my lead keel.
        The drill keeps grabbing and major pressure backwards is needed to
        extract the drill. I have tried oiling the tip, and drilling slowly
        but have broken $10 worth of drill bits so far. If no one has any
        better suggestions I will just pony up another $10. The good news is
        that when they break I just hammer them home into the lead. No
        damage done other than financial.

        DAvid JOst

        "working rather than boatbuilding :-("
        > Envious of Dave Jost up there in perfect epoxying weather, 60 miles
        to my
        > north, and his iminent launch!
        >
        > Paul Lefebvre
      • Jim Chamberlin RCSIS
        Message 3 of 27 , May 2 2:08 PM
          A lot of emails? I only had 153. BTW, your boat is beautiful.
          Jim

        • rrobar@segue.com
          Message 4 of 27 , May 2 2:14 PM
            Thanks for all the responses! I've decided to go with the looks-
            great-from-10-feet option: sand lightly, cover with paint, then push
            Micro into the water. Afterall, it's a sailboat, not a yacht.

            randy
            quickly turning lots of expensive wood and epoxy into dust outside
            Boston

            --- In bolger@y..., "Paul A. Lefebvre, Jr." <paul@w...> wrote:
            > I've been sitting on the sidelines on this one, but having just
            recently
            > sanded and varnished the fiberglass coating on my 4th cedar-strip
            canoe to
            > foot-away quality bright finish inside and out, perhaps I oughta
            toss in my
            > 2 cents worth, elaborating on Jamie's suggestions.
            > I do all my glass layup and subsequent coats in a single day -
            I put the
            > cloth on dry on bare wood, on an upside-down boat, wet it out and
            squeegee
            > off most of the resin with a very flexible plastic spatula (the
            ones sold by
            > West system, or for autobody work, are too stiff and will scrape
            out too
            > much resin! I prefer the plastic cake spatulas of the same
            rectangular
            > shape, sold under various names - I bought a bunch with 'frugal
            gourmet'
            > logos on them). This method takes alot of epoxy back out of the
            cloth in the
            > form of non-reusable foamy semi-kicked gunk, but saves so much
            sanding work
            > that I think it's worth the price.Once the resin is set up enough
            to be
            > firm, but still a bit tacky, roll, brush, or squeegee on a second
            coat to
            > fill the weave; a third coat for 6 oz and probably a 4th coat for
            anything
            > coarser, but on 4 oz. cloth 2 coats is just enough. You don't want
            to sand
            > through any cloth, it will seriously weaken the expensive sheath
            you went to
            > all the trouble to put on in the first place, so filling in the
            weave is
            > important; and if you leave it overnight and let the first layup
            coat harden
            > completely before recoating, you really should sand for good
            adhesion before
            > the second coat, or at least scrub with a scotchbrite and amonia to
            remove
            > the blush. Sanding after only 1 coat means you're weakening your
            cloth,
            > hence the long day and multiple coats to really do it most
            efficiently.
            > Presumably the blush 'floats' to the surface if you apply coats in
            > close-enough succession.
            > After going through this and applying 6 coats of Epifanes
            varnish, and
            > right up to delivering the canoe (it was a birthday gift to my
            brother), I
            > was swearing I'd never go through this again, at least to an
            unforgiving
            > varnish-perfect level of finish. Then we dropped it the Chesapeake
            on Easter
            > Sunday, and it all evaporated... I hadn't launched a boat since
            June of '95,
            > had forgotten what a sweet feeling it is - nothing comes close, and
            I feel
            > like a boatbuilder again. I'd post a photo but it's not a Bolger
            boat, and
            > I'll take the following cheap shot to help justify this post ;-):
            Now my

          • ellengaest@boatbuilding.com
            Message 5 of 27 , May 2 6:20 PM
              Hi David,
              Why are you drilling the holes? I would imagine that if you can
              drive the broken drill bits into the lead and are using bronze
              nails(stronger/stiffer then lead) then should they not drive in just
              as easily?

              Got my Micro all wet this evening at 18:25!!!!!!!What a wonderful
              feeling to be on board after a long winter on the hard.Judging by the
              way she dipped and rolled while I was on board,I would have to guess
              that she is tickled pink at being back in her element.Were it not for
              other obligations later this evening,I would have spent the night on
              board!!!!!!!

              Sure wish I coulda been there to help with the keel.......
              Sincerely,
              Peter Lenihan,going through something of a heat wave with temps in
              the 29 to 30 degree celsius range,on the shores of the St.Lawrence....

              --- In bolger@y..., djost@m... wrote:
              > Paul,
              >
              > I have been doing keel work with the weather, as you stated,
              > perfect epoxying weather. It is actually a little warm for jobs
              that
              > require a leisure pace.
              >
              > I have run into a problem with drilling holes in my lead keel.
              > The drill keeps grabbing and major pressure backwards is needed to
              > extract the drill. I have tried oiling the tip, and drilling slowly
              > but have broken $10 worth of drill bits so far. If no one has any
              > better suggestions I will just pony up another $10. The good news
              is
              > that when they break I just hammer them home into the lead. No
              > damage done other than financial.
              >
              > DAvid JOst
              >
              > "working rather than boatbuilding :-("
              > > Envious of Dave Jost up there in perfect epoxying weather, 60
              miles
              > to my
              > > north, and his iminent launch!
              > >
              > > Paul Lefebvre
            • Clyde S. Wisner
              Message 6 of 27 , May 3 6:03 AM
                When you spread this stuff with a roller, you might try "tipping" with a dry foam brush, drag the
                brush across after you spread a couple of sq ft, no down presure. May eliminate orange peel. Clyde

              • djost@ma.ultranet.com
                Message 7 of 27 , May 3 6:30 AM
                  No Peter,
                  In my test run, the bronze nails bent too much prior to seating
                  due to the antimony that was added to the casting. The casting is too
                  hard to drive the nails, yet too soft for very sharp titanium drills.
                  I will try dipping a less sharp drill bit in kerosene (plenty of those
                  hurricane lamps in the garage) and try the other side this weekend.

                  David Jost
                  "Suffering from Micro envy, knock it off Peter! :-)"

                  > Got my Micro all wet this evening at 18:25!!!!!!!What a wonderful
                  > feeling to be on board after a long winter on the hard.Judging by the
                  > way she dipped and rolled while I was on board,I would have to guess
                  > that she is tickled pink at being back in her element.Were it not for
                  > other obligations later this evening,I would have spent the night on
                  > board!!!!!!!
                  >
                  > Sure wish I coulda been there to help with the keel.......
                  > Sincerely,
                  > Peter Lenihan,going through something of a heat wave with temps in
                  > the 29 to 30 degree celsius range,on the shores of the St.Lawrence....
                  >

                  > --- In bolger@y..., djost@m... wrote:
                  > > Paul,
                  > >
                  > > I have been doing keel work with the weather, as you stated,
                  > > perfect epoxying weather. It is actually a little warm for jobs
                  > that
                  > > require a leisure pace.
                  > >
                  > > I have run into a problem with drilling holes in my lead keel.
                  > > The drill keeps grabbing and major pressure backwards is needed to
                  > > extract the drill. I have tried oiling the tip, and drilling slowly
                  > > but have broken $10 worth of drill bits so far. If no one has any
                  > > better suggestions I will just pony up another $10. The good news
                  > is
                  > > that when they break I just hammer them home into the lead. No
                  > > damage done other than financial.
                  > >
                  > > DAvid JOst
                  > >
                  > > "working rather than boatbuilding :-("
                  > > > Envious of Dave Jost up there in perfect epoxying weather, 60
                  > miles
                  > > to my
                  > > > north, and his iminent launch!
                  > > >
                  > > > Paul Lefebvre
                • Paul A. Lefebvre, Jr.
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 3 7:46 AM
                    Dave,
                    I acquired a drill press a couple years ago, with vastly variable speed,
                    and owning it has allowed me to experiment drilling things I never would
                    have tackled by hand before. Seems like the slower speeds work better with
                    metals; not as much torque when it grabs, as it inevitably does when you
                    don't have the thing perfectly clamped down in a proper vise; your keel
                    isn't moving but your arms surely are, same effect. I've only drilled
                    aluminum and some steel, not lead, so can't speak from firsthand experience
                    (yet!) but a slower drill speed is easy and cheap to experiment with. I have
                    an old Sears 3/8" variable-speed reversing drill I picked up cheap at a yard
                    sale, hardly ever use it now that I have a cordless, but the little knob on
                    the trigger that lets you set the max trigger depth/drill speed might be
                    just the kind of gadget you'd need for this. Just a thought.... If you want
                    to borrow it, meet me at Logan Wednesday, lunchtime ;-).... or I can Fed-ex
                    it up to you if you want it sooner!
                    I've got even more micro envy than you! At least you're working on yours,
                    I'm preparing for a 2-week business trip, and looking at yet more delays to
                    start construction.... But I do enjoy Peter's ravings about his sweet little
                    boat.

                    good luck!

                    Paul

                    Message 9 of 27 , May 3 8:57 AM
                      Randy,

                      This is the conclusion that I think most of us come to...decent finish and
                      launch the thing.

                      To satisfy that desire to put something on the boat with a high quality
                      finish to it, try adding a few pieces of bright finished mahogany, oak, teak
                      (really expensive) etc. The gunwales and inwales of my first Pointy Skiff
                      are done in Philipine Mahogany. The hardwood looks good and so far has held
                      up great to dock banging, oar whacking, and little kids dragging things on
                      and off the boat.

                      Jim

                      Message 10 of 27 , May 3 9:00 AM
                        Paul,
                        I am sorry I can't meet you at Logan on Wed. My school
                        superintendent would frown on me skipping out on my teaching
                        responsibilies. (I have a concert that night anyway). I have been
                        using the cordless and it is either slow or fast with no inbetween. I
                        am going to try the variable speed electric and pick up an handful of
                        real cheap bits and just go through them. If they break they will
                        become part of the boat. what the heck . . .

                        David Jost
                        "avoiding work again"

                      • KF4call@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 27 , May 4 5:17 AM
                          The Fall 2000 "Epoxyworks", published by West, has an article titled
                          "Fiberglassing a Woodstrip Hull...Techniques for a Perfect Clear
                          Finish". Covers all sorts of things such as vaiations in technique depending
                          on the coat. They recommend different approaches for first, second and third
                          coats. The content is quite thorough and even goes into detail on the type
                          of rags to use. There isn't a lot here on finishing, but I imagine, if ou
                          can get it on smoother, the finishing should be less demanding.

                          In our discussion, I haven't heard much on the use of scrapers...sharp
                          blades held nearly vertical to the surface. Anyone using them? What happens
                          if you hit the glass cloth with a scraper?

                          Regards,
                          Warren

                          In a message dated 5/4/2001 6:53:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                          jorr@... writes:

                          > Don's method is fine if you want a nice finish, but many don't. I go for
                          > work boat finish. I give the cloth a second coat to fill the weave, then
                          > Random orbital sand, and paint. Be sure to stand back 10 feet
                          > when you show
                          > it off. This method will get you in the water a lot faster.
                          >
                          > Chuck

                        • Chuck Leinweber
                          Message 12 of 27 , May 4 5:49 AM
                            Hi, Warren:

                            I use scrapers a lot, not just on boats. They work very well on
                            epoxy/glass, with these caveats: Try to do the scraping on heavy areas
                            before the resin is completely cured, and use good steel, as they will get
                            dull fast enough when you hit glass.

                            Chuck

                          • phillip_lea@yahoo.com
                            Message 13 of 27 , May 4 11:18 AM
                              Agree with Jim. I have used 100% acrylic satin house paint that can
                              get scuffed off, but having a few varnished pieces (mast, tiller,
                              etc.) sets off the whole boat -- scuffed paint doesn't look nearly so
                              bad. Spar varnish over clear coat epoxy (System 3) is a rugged
                              finish.

                              Phil Lea

                            • j.c.ewing@home.com
                              Message 14 of 27 , May 4 4:05 PM
                                I've been using pull-scrapers to remove old finish on the hull of my
                                Tendercraft stripper skiff, Nandessa. The cloth beneath is probably
                                only about 2-oz. but I've found the scraper only grazes it, without
                                noticeable damage.

                                I'm not keen on chemical stripping and a pull-stripper alone had left
                                patches of old varnish on the (somewhat rough) oaken outer stem and
                                keel, skeg and rub strips. So today I used a heat gun along with the
                                pull-scraper and everything came off beautifully. I also tried this
                                technique on a spot where I'd been unable to sand or scrape old
                                varnish off the clear-coat (but deteriorated) epoxy. It almost worked
                                too well, the epoxy bubbling when it got too hot. But it almost makes
                                me think about heat-stripping the old epoxy right off the 'glass for
                                a nice, fresh base.

                                John in Victoria