Re: Easiest way to get a smooth fiberglass surface - Thank You

  • rrobar@segue.com
    Message 1 of 27 , May 2, 2001
      Thanks everyone. I've decided to breakout the sander, roll on some
      paint, and push Micro into the water. It is after all a working
      sailboat, not a yacht.

    • kwilson800@aol.com
      Message 2 of 27 , May 2, 2001
        Yep. That's why the last two boats were lapstrake plywood. Spend a
        little more for good plywood, sand a lot less. I'm getting less and
        less tolerant of sanding. The guy who wrote "Canoecraft" (Ted
        Moore?) of Bear Mountain Canoe works, can do a better job of getting
        fiberglass cloth smooth and flat than seems possible, but he hasn't
        put his secret in the books. I wish he would.

        Keith Wilson

        --- In bolger@y..., "Orr, Jamie" <jorr@b...> wrote:
        > I hate sanding epoxy . . .
        > (I've promised myself that I'm going to build a boat without
        plywood, epoxy, or glass, but I haven't done it yet.)
      • djost@ma.ultranet.com
        Message 3 of 27 , May 2, 2001
          Paul,

          I have been doing keel work with the weather, as you stated,
          perfect epoxying weather. It is actually a little warm for jobs that
          require a leisure pace.

          I have run into a problem with drilling holes in my lead keel.
          The drill keeps grabbing and major pressure backwards is needed to
          extract the drill. I have tried oiling the tip, and drilling slowly
          but have broken $10 worth of drill bits so far. If no one has any
          better suggestions I will just pony up another $10. The good news is
          that when they break I just hammer them home into the lead. No
          damage done other than financial.

          DAvid JOst

          "working rather than boatbuilding :-("
          > Envious of Dave Jost up there in perfect epoxying weather, 60 miles
          to my
          > north, and his iminent launch!
          >
          > Paul Lefebvre
        • Jim Chamberlin RCSIS
          Message 4 of 27 , May 2, 2001
            A lot of emails? I only had 153. BTW, your boat is beautiful.
            Jim

            Message 5 of 27 , May 2, 2001
              Thanks for all the responses! I've decided to go with the looks-
              great-from-10-feet option: sand lightly, cover with paint, then push
              Micro into the water. Afterall, it's a sailboat, not a yacht.

              randy
              quickly turning lots of expensive wood and epoxy into dust outside
              Boston

              --- In bolger@y..., "Paul A. Lefebvre, Jr." <paul@w...> wrote:
              > I've been sitting on the sidelines on this one, but having just
              recently
              > sanded and varnished the fiberglass coating on my 4th cedar-strip
              canoe to
              > foot-away quality bright finish inside and out, perhaps I oughta
              toss in my
              > 2 cents worth, elaborating on Jamie's suggestions.
              > I do all my glass layup and subsequent coats in a single day -
              I put the
              > cloth on dry on bare wood, on an upside-down boat, wet it out and
              squeegee
              > off most of the resin with a very flexible plastic spatula (the
              ones sold by
              > West system, or for autobody work, are too stiff and will scrape
              out too
              > much resin! I prefer the plastic cake spatulas of the same
              rectangular
              > shape, sold under various names - I bought a bunch with 'frugal
              gourmet'
              > logos on them). This method takes alot of epoxy back out of the
              cloth in the
              > form of non-reusable foamy semi-kicked gunk, but saves so much
              sanding work
              > that I think it's worth the price.Once the resin is set up enough
              to be
              > firm, but still a bit tacky, roll, brush, or squeegee on a second
              coat to
              > fill the weave; a third coat for 6 oz and probably a 4th coat for
              anything
              > coarser, but on 4 oz. cloth 2 coats is just enough. You don't want
              to sand
              > through any cloth, it will seriously weaken the expensive sheath
              you went to
              > all the trouble to put on in the first place, so filling in the
              weave is
              > important; and if you leave it overnight and let the first layup
              coat harden
              > completely before recoating, you really should sand for good
              adhesion before
              > the second coat, or at least scrub with a scotchbrite and amonia to
              remove
              > the blush. Sanding after only 1 coat means you're weakening your
              cloth,
              > hence the long day and multiple coats to really do it most
              efficiently.
              > Presumably the blush 'floats' to the surface if you apply coats in
              > close-enough succession.
              > After going through this and applying 6 coats of Epifanes
              varnish, and
              > right up to delivering the canoe (it was a birthday gift to my
              brother), I
              > was swearing I'd never go through this again, at least to an
              unforgiving
              > varnish-perfect level of finish. Then we dropped it the Chesapeake
              on Easter
              > Sunday, and it all evaporated... I hadn't launched a boat since
              June of '95,
              > had forgotten what a sweet feeling it is - nothing comes close, and
              I feel
              > like a boatbuilder again. I'd post a photo but it's not a Bolger
              boat, and
              > I'll take the following cheap shot to help justify this post ;-):
              Now my

            • ellengaest@boatbuilding.com
              Message 6 of 27 , May 2, 2001
                Hi David,
                Why are you drilling the holes? I would imagine that if you can
                drive the broken drill bits into the lead and are using bronze
                nails(stronger/stiffer then lead) then should they not drive in just
                as easily?

                Got my Micro all wet this evening at 18:25!!!!!!!What a wonderful
                feeling to be on board after a long winter on the hard.Judging by the
                way she dipped and rolled while I was on board,I would have to guess
                that she is tickled pink at being back in her element.Were it not for
                other obligations later this evening,I would have spent the night on
                board!!!!!!!

                Sure wish I coulda been there to help with the keel.......
                Sincerely,
                Peter Lenihan,going through something of a heat wave with temps in
                the 29 to 30 degree celsius range,on the shores of the St.Lawrence....

                --- In bolger@y..., djost@m... wrote:
                > Paul,
                >
                > I have been doing keel work with the weather, as you stated,
                > perfect epoxying weather. It is actually a little warm for jobs
                that
                > require a leisure pace.
                >
                > I have run into a problem with drilling holes in my lead keel.
                > The drill keeps grabbing and major pressure backwards is needed to
                > extract the drill. I have tried oiling the tip, and drilling slowly
                > but have broken $10 worth of drill bits so far. If no one has any
                > better suggestions I will just pony up another $10. The good news
                is
                > that when they break I just hammer them home into the lead. No
                > damage done other than financial.
                >
                > DAvid JOst
                >
                > "working rather than boatbuilding :-("
                > > Envious of Dave Jost up there in perfect epoxying weather, 60
                miles
                > to my
                > > north, and his iminent launch!
                > >
                > > Paul Lefebvre
              • Clyde S. Wisner
                Message 7 of 27 , May 3, 2001
                  When you spread this stuff with a roller, you might try "tipping" with a dry foam brush, drag the
                  brush across after you spread a couple of sq ft, no down presure. May eliminate orange peel. Clyde

                • djost@ma.ultranet.com
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 3, 2001
                    No Peter,
                    In my test run, the bronze nails bent too much prior to seating
                    due to the antimony that was added to the casting. The casting is too
                    hard to drive the nails, yet too soft for very sharp titanium drills.
                    I will try dipping a less sharp drill bit in kerosene (plenty of those
                    hurricane lamps in the garage) and try the other side this weekend.

                    David Jost
                    "Suffering from Micro envy, knock it off Peter! :-)"

                    > Got my Micro all wet this evening at 18:25!!!!!!!What a wonderful
                    > feeling to be on board after a long winter on the hard.Judging by the
                    > way she dipped and rolled while I was on board,I would have to guess
                    > that she is tickled pink at being back in her element.Were it not for
                    > other obligations later this evening,I would have spent the night on
                    > board!!!!!!!
                    >
                    > Sure wish I coulda been there to help with the keel.......
                    > Sincerely,
                    > Peter Lenihan,going through something of a heat wave with temps in
                    > the 29 to 30 degree celsius range,on the shores of the St.Lawrence....
                    >

                    > --- In bolger@y..., djost@m... wrote:
                    > > Paul,
                    > >
                    > > I have been doing keel work with the weather, as you stated,
                    > > perfect epoxying weather. It is actually a little warm for jobs
                    > that
                    > > require a leisure pace.
                    > >
                    > > I have run into a problem with drilling holes in my lead keel.
                    > > The drill keeps grabbing and major pressure backwards is needed to
                    > > extract the drill. I have tried oiling the tip, and drilling slowly
                    > > but have broken $10 worth of drill bits so far. If no one has any
                    > > better suggestions I will just pony up another $10. The good news
                    > is
                    > > that when they break I just hammer them home into the lead. No
                    > > damage done other than financial.
                    > >
                    > > DAvid JOst
                    > >
                    > > "working rather than boatbuilding :-("
                    > > > Envious of Dave Jost up there in perfect epoxying weather, 60
                    > miles
                    > > to my
                    > > > north, and his iminent launch!
                    > > >
                    > > > Paul Lefebvre
                  • Paul A. Lefebvre, Jr.
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 3, 2001
                      Dave,
                      I acquired a drill press a couple years ago, with vastly variable speed,
                      and owning it has allowed me to experiment drilling things I never would
                      have tackled by hand before. Seems like the slower speeds work better with
                      metals; not as much torque when it grabs, as it inevitably does when you
                      don't have the thing perfectly clamped down in a proper vise; your keel
                      isn't moving but your arms surely are, same effect. I've only drilled
                      aluminum and some steel, not lead, so can't speak from firsthand experience
                      (yet!) but a slower drill speed is easy and cheap to experiment with. I have
                      an old Sears 3/8" variable-speed reversing drill I picked up cheap at a yard
                      sale, hardly ever use it now that I have a cordless, but the little knob on
                      the trigger that lets you set the max trigger depth/drill speed might be
                      just the kind of gadget you'd need for this. Just a thought.... If you want
                      to borrow it, meet me at Logan Wednesday, lunchtime ;-).... or I can Fed-ex
                      it up to you if you want it sooner!
                      I've got even more micro envy than you! At least you're working on yours,
                      I'm preparing for a 2-week business trip, and looking at yet more delays to
                      start construction.... But I do enjoy Peter's ravings about his sweet little
                      boat.

                      good luck!

                      Paul

                      Message 10 of 27 , May 3, 2001
                        Randy,

                        This is the conclusion that I think most of us come to...decent finish and
                        launch the thing.

                        To satisfy that desire to put something on the boat with a high quality
                        finish to it, try adding a few pieces of bright finished mahogany, oak, teak
                        (really expensive) etc. The gunwales and inwales of my first Pointy Skiff
                        are done in Philipine Mahogany. The hardwood looks good and so far has held
                        up great to dock banging, oar whacking, and little kids dragging things on
                        and off the boat.

                        Jim

                        Message 11 of 27 , May 3, 2001
                          Paul,
                          I am sorry I can't meet you at Logan on Wed. My school
                          superintendent would frown on me skipping out on my teaching
                          responsibilies. (I have a concert that night anyway). I have been
                          using the cordless and it is either slow or fast with no inbetween. I
                          am going to try the variable speed electric and pick up an handful of
                          real cheap bits and just go through them. If they break they will
                          become part of the boat. what the heck . . .

                          David Jost
                          "avoiding work again"

                        • KF4call@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 27 , May 4, 2001
                            The Fall 2000 "Epoxyworks", published by West, has an article titled
                            "Fiberglassing a Woodstrip Hull...Techniques for a Perfect Clear
                            Finish". Covers all sorts of things such as vaiations in technique depending
                            on the coat. They recommend different approaches for first, second and third
                            coats. The content is quite thorough and even goes into detail on the type
                            of rags to use. There isn't a lot here on finishing, but I imagine, if ou
                            can get it on smoother, the finishing should be less demanding.

                            In our discussion, I haven't heard much on the use of scrapers...sharp
                            blades held nearly vertical to the surface. Anyone using them? What happens
                            if you hit the glass cloth with a scraper?

                            Regards,
                            Warren

                            In a message dated 5/4/2001 6:53:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                            jorr@... writes:

                            > Don's method is fine if you want a nice finish, but many don't. I go for
                            > work boat finish. I give the cloth a second coat to fill the weave, then
                            > Random orbital sand, and paint. Be sure to stand back 10 feet
                            > when you show
                            > it off. This method will get you in the water a lot faster.
                            >
                            > Chuck

                          • Chuck Leinweber
                            Message 13 of 27 , May 4, 2001
                              Hi, Warren:

                              I use scrapers a lot, not just on boats. They work very well on
                              epoxy/glass, with these caveats: Try to do the scraping on heavy areas
                              before the resin is completely cured, and use good steel, as they will get
                              dull fast enough when you hit glass.

                              Chuck

                            • phillip_lea@yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 27 , May 4, 2001
                                Agree with Jim. I have used 100% acrylic satin house paint that can
                                get scuffed off, but having a few varnished pieces (mast, tiller,
                                etc.) sets off the whole boat -- scuffed paint doesn't look nearly so
                                bad. Spar varnish over clear coat epoxy (System 3) is a rugged
                                finish.

                                Phil Lea

                              • j.c.ewing@home.com
                                Message 15 of 27 , May 4, 2001
                                  I've been using pull-scrapers to remove old finish on the hull of my
                                  Tendercraft stripper skiff, Nandessa. The cloth beneath is probably
                                  only about 2-oz. but I've found the scraper only grazes it, without
                                  noticeable damage.

                                  I'm not keen on chemical stripping and a pull-stripper alone had left
                                  patches of old varnish on the (somewhat rough) oaken outer stem and
                                  keel, skeg and rub strips. So today I used a heat gun along with the
                                  pull-scraper and everything came off beautifully. I also tried this
                                  technique on a spot where I'd been unable to sand or scrape old
                                  varnish off the clear-coat (but deteriorated) epoxy. It almost worked
                                  too well, the epoxy bubbling when it got too hot. But it almost makes
                                  me think about heat-stripping the old epoxy right off the 'glass for
                                  a nice, fresh base.

                                  John in Victoria