Re: "Tightbond II" and boatbuilding?

  • pongo19050@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2001
      I've used it above the waterline to scarf stock for spars, etc. It
      hasn't failed yet. Don't use it below whatever the specified temp is
      (50 degrees?)or the bond will be worthless. I have noticed a
      tendency for the glue to turn a litttle milky upon being submerged.
      I haven't noticed any weakening of the bond and it returns to
      translucent yellow upon drying. I'd seal it well.

      Personally, I use epoxy or 3m 5200 below the waterline.

      Regards

      Andy Farquhar
    • R Coy
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2001
        PL has been rcommened over tite II as it has better
        holding power.
        I have had Tite II go on me in some remodel projects,
        however, I have not used PL adhesive.

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/
      • pateson@colton.com
        Message 3 of 10 , May 1, 2001
          The Depoe Bay Festival was wonderful. Must commend Jack Brown, and
          his folks for a very organized and well run and most "Friendly" show.
          Lots of folks and different boats there.
          Saturday was beautiful weather, but Sunday was a day at the Oregon
          coast (Lots of rain and wind), so most people left early.
          Got to see most of the boats on Saturday, but everybody was was
          having such a good time just talking to other folks, including me,
          that it was hard to find the owner of a particular boat at their
          boat. Not a bad thing, just kind of hard to connect people with boats.
          Wish Sunday would have been a little nicer, so I could have taken a
          closer look at all the boats there and talked with the owner,
          builders, but with my bad neck, I was not too much disapointied in
          leaving early.
          Highlight of Sunday was "Runaway Dory Roundup" I'll spare names and
          and details to protect the innocent, but was lots of fun.
          Too many nice boats there for me to pick a "Winner", but that was
          a lot of the fun. "No Fees, No Awards, No Rules".
          They were all great.

          I think a great time had by all, and am already looking forward to
          next year. Anybody that didn't show up should plan on comming next
          year.

          Got to stay in same motel as RCMP folks from Vancouver BC who brought
          down a 31' Replica of a "Northwest Naive American" Canoe.
          Got to talk with them some, and they seemed to enjoy the event.
          Said they were probably going to bring it to the Portland, "Eh",
          "Rivers West Small Craft" Show normally held at "Oak's Park", but
          that has been moved to Porland's new "Eastside" of the Willamette
          River improvement area. It is scheduled for weekend of July 28-29.
          More on that later I'm sure. Should be bigger and better. (Maybe,
          except "City" will be involved, so I hope that "City" will just stay
          the heck out of the way, and lets the regulars run it. It has been a
          very nice, casual show in the past, hope it stays that way.

          Great time, hope to see you all there next year and at other shows.

          Pat Patteson
          Molalla, Oregon
          pateson@...

          PS
          Dick Pilz, please contact me at above email
        • phillip_lea@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 10 , May 4, 2001
            My doug fir mast and yellow pine tiller are both laminated/glued with
            Tite Bond II. They are sealed with epoxy clear coat and varnish. 1
            year old, and no problems.

            Phil Lea
            Russellville, Arkansas