RE: [bolger] Depoe Bay, Oregon Wooden Boat Festival This Weeke nd

  • Orr, Jamie
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1 9:53 AM
      Hi Pat

      Didn't see your note below as we had already left for the show. I did sort
      of see you, though, at least I saw the Guy in the Neck Brace, and admired
      your Little Red Rowboat (I'm another elegant punter myself). Didn't realize
      the Guy was you. We found the Spouting Horn, but only the restaurant part
      -- didn't get to the bar.

      I was one of the guys in the green chebacco.

      See you another time -- hopefuly we'll have a Bolger bunch again at the Port
      Townsend show.

      Jamie Orr

      P.S. to John K and Larry B -- hope you'll be putting your pictures up on the
      net -- I did my usual left-the-camera-in-the-car trick.

      Message 2 of 5 , May 2 10:50 PM
        I did meet Pat, but just to confuse things another guy with a neck brace
        showed up later in the afternoon! His mouth wasn't as big as Pat's though.
        <g>

        Of course I'll have some pictures of the Festival online soon. I don't
        think I got a _good_ picture of the Chamberlain dory skiff though, the
        guy's wife was sitting in the way and I don't recall going back later.
        Sorry Jamie.

        I discovered a good restaurant Sunday night, good food, good prices,
        friendly service and a 10% discount for Boat Festival exhibitors. I got a
        10 oz. steak _and_ a slab of salmon basted with ginger and soy for $11.86!
        On top of that, I complimented the chef (a Filipino gentleman) and he gave
        me a complimentary piece cheesecake with strawberries! The Pacific Rim
        Restaurant, just south of the bridge on 101. It overlooks the harbor and I
        could gaze at Pickle on her trailer as I was dining. <g>

        --
        John <jkohnen@...>
        http://www.boat-links.com/
        Message 3 of 5 , May 4 1:17 PM
          --- In bolger@e..., jhkohnen@b... wrote:
          > I did meet Pat, but just to confuse things another guy with a neck
          brace showed up later in the afternoon! His mouth wasn't as big as
          Pat's though.
          > <g>

          Thanks John, it was good to meet you in person.
          Sorry about the above double post, but Yahoo was "Screwed Up",
          and I thought that I had made a mistake, so rewrote my message.

          Well, at least I did add the "Big Mouth", just in case there was
          any doubt or someone else with a neck brace.

          The Festival was extremely friendly, and "User Friendly" with lots
          of good people who helped me with my boats. Lots of fun.

          Even the Coast Guard was "Friendly", when my Son helped me take my
          Folbot out on the bay and I insisted to him that we poke the nose
          of it out toward the Ocean and under the bridge, even though the
          "Rough Bar" yellow lights were flashing on the warning sign, and once
          under the bridge the Ocean was certainly not the place I wanted
          to go, as even there, the swells were already 4-5 feet high, and the
          wind was funneling under the bridge, making it very difficult to make
          any headway, even in our low boat with two paddling.
          Once I had officially determined that we had poked our nose past the
          bridge, and were actually in the Pacific Ocean, it didn't take any
          more than asking my Son if he was as scared as I was to get us turned
          around and headed back for the "Safe Harbor".
          But, me, being me, was the one that was chosen by the Coast Guard
          fellow to be called over to the end of their dock for a little
          talking to. "Busted again".
          Story of my life. He was actually very nice, and just told us that
          there had been several people in "Very small" boats that had been
          playing around the mouth of the harbor, and it was their job to have
          some poor soul watch the mouth of the bay and inform the Harbormaster
          of any boats that might be putting themselves in peril, or actually
          try to go out into the Ocean during those unsafe conditions.
          We, and several other small boats were scaring the heck out of the
          Harbormaster and I'm sure he did not want to have his day ruined by
          having to go out and pull a body from the water.
          I was wrong for doing what I did, and apologize to anyone I caused
          any distress.
          The great thing was that the Coast Guard were doing their job very
          well, and were most courteous, and only asked me to inform the rest
          of the "Small Boat Folks" to stay clear of the bridge.
          I did thank him for his concern, and did try to inform everyone that
          it was Not a good idea to play around the bridge.
          My thanks, and appreciation to the Coast Guard. They do a great job.

          Not only "Big Mouth" but sometimes not "Real Smart".

          And long winded.

          Depoe Bay is a very special town on the Oregon Coast, or anywhere,
          for that matter. Very friendly, casual, and caring town.
          The town is actually trying to purchase the last 4 or 5 building
          sites on the Ocean side of HW 101, in order to protect the remaining
          Ocean side and view of the Ocean from "Development", and turn it into
          a "Natural" Park. Has support of most of the City Council, and even
          many local Realtors, who could make a lot of money, but realize that
          the character of the Town could be lost, and have put "Livability"
          above money.
          A town with an actual vision of how thing should and can be.

          Thanks to all you folks of Depoe Bay.
          And to "Hole In The Wall Gang" Coast Guard.

          Pat Patteson
          Molalla, Oregon
        • Orr, Jamie
          Message 4 of 5 , May 4 1:38 PM
            I'll add my appreciation of the Coast Guard to Pat's. I went along early
            Saturday to ask about conditions outside the harbour. They took the time to
            explain the hazards, and were both friendly and professional.

            If anyone is thinking about going to Depoe Bay next year, stop thinking and
            just go. It's a great get together -- pity its so far from here.

            Jamie Orr

          • jhkohnen@boat-links.com
            Message 5 of 5 , May 6 1:49 AM
              Anybody who had a good time at the Depoe Bay Wooden Boat Festival should
              send a note of appreciation to Jack and Maggie Brown, who worked very hard
              to make it happen:

              mjbrown@...

              It was nice to meet so many Bolgerians at the festival, let's hope that
              it's the beginning of a trend. Next year it's going to be sunny and warm
              both days!

              --
              John <jkohnen@...>
              http://www.boat-links.com/