Depoe Bay

  • Jim Chamberlin RCSIS
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2001
      Just got back and we will be drying things most of the night. Of course, it
      rained. All that beautiful greenery needs lots of rain. Will write in more
      detail and get the pictures developed and uploaded. I had the unofficial
      honor of having the smallest boat moored at the dock for this occasion. A
      small, but varied collection of boats were exhibited.

      Later.

      Jim C.
    • Jim Goeckermann
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 22, 2002
        This coming weekend is the Depoe Bay wooden boat festival on
        the northern coast of Oregon. Here is a link with pictures of
        past festivals:
        http://www.boat-links.com/DepoeBay/
        It is quite a haul from my northern CA home, so I have a tidbit
        of advice and a question for those who have attended in
        previous years. I found a campsite less than 7 miles south, and
        one can make reservations for a tent site under $20 including
        the $6 res. fee. Here's my question: I have a Chrysler Mutineer
        that I am selling at giveaway prices. Fot those that have been
        to the festival before, is this worth taking? Is there a place
        for parking where this for-sale item would get good exposure to
        folks filled with the "own a boat" frenzy?
        Lastly, any Bolgerites planning to attend or show a boat? See
        you there! Jim
      • Orr, Jamie
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 22, 2002
          There's a launch ramp and parking site right on the harbour, but not where
          the boat show viewers will necessarily walk past unless you put a sign up --
          you should be able to park in view with any luck. Of course, you could
          register (free) and put her on show?

          There are several Bolgerites coming, some with boats and some not, I think.
          Drop by a green-hulled Chebacco moored at the floats, and say hello.

          Jamie Orr

          This coming weekend is the Depoe Bay wooden boat festival on
          the northern coast of Oregon. Here is a link with pictures of
          past festivals:
          http://www.boat-links.com/DepoeBay/
          It is quite a haul from my northern CA home, so I have a tidbit
          of advice and a question for those who have attended in
          previous years. I found a campsite less than 7 miles south, and
          one can make reservations for a tent site under $20 including
          the $6 res. fee. Here's my question: I have a Chrysler Mutineer
          that I am selling at giveaway prices. Fot those that have been
          to the festival before, is this worth taking? Is there a place
          for parking where this for-sale item would get good exposure to
          folks filled with the "own a boat" frenzy?
          Lastly, any Bolgerites planning to attend or show a boat? See
          you there! Jim

          Bolger rules!!!
          01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

        • jhkohnen@boat-links.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 24, 2002
            Shame on you Jamie for even suggesting that. I don't think Jack would let
            him put that Chrysler in the festival, it's made out of that 'F' word
            stuff! ;o) Parking by the boat ramp with a big sign is probably the best
            bet, there really isn't anyplace on the way down to the festival to put the
            boat.

            There should be a Chebacco, an Elegant Punt, a Nymph and probably a
            Gloucester Gull at Depoe Bay, and possibly some other Bolger Boats, who
            knows? I'll probably be hanging around my sailing skiff, Pickle, down on
            dock 3.

            Beverly Beach park is a nice place to stay.

            On Mon, 22 Apr 2002 14:57:40 -0700, Jamie wrote:
            > There's a launch ramp and parking site right on the harbour, but not where
            > the boat show viewers will necessarily walk past unless you put a sign up --
            > you should be able to park in view with any luck. Of course, you could
            > register (free) and put her on show?

            John <jkohnen@...>
            http://www.boat-links.com/
            The denunciation of the young is a necessary part of the hygiene of older
            people, and greatly assists the circulation of the blood.
            <Logan Pearsall Smith>
          • Orr, Jamie
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 24, 2002
              Oops! In the words of the great Walt Kelly, "I is covered with rue."

              Jamie

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 24, 2002
                (Regarding the previous posts on showing a boat for sale at
                Depoe)..Loved the "I is covered with rue" reminder of Walt
                Kelly - what a mind! I wouldn't think of polluting the pure by
                "showing" a fiberglass boat, but for those that have not
                thought or it, buying such a boat and "throwing away" the hull
                can bring tremendous savings. A trailer, boom, aluminum mast,
                pintles, rudder, and set of sails can cut your construction
                time and cost tremendously if you buy it right. By watching
                ebay I have collected four small sails from sailboards and
                prams - all for less than $30 each.