Chuck's Tomboy Two

  • c_i_becker@yahoo.com.au
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2001
      Chuck,

      I've seen your web page regarding your Jessie Cooper, Tomboy, and am
      especially interested in the redesign, Tomboy Two. In BWAOM, PCB goes
      on:

      1. The deep daggerboard was good for sailing but very bad for shoal-
      water use;it collected weed, was heavy to lift, and jammed in an
      accidental grounding.
      2. The heavy mast was stepped through the deck, needing a crane to
      lift it out.
      3. The settees in the main cabin were too short to sleep on; she had
      a fine double berth, but no place to bed guests.
      4. An outboard rudder shared the transom with an outboard motor,
      which looks makeshift, the rudder is at risk of fouling the motor,
      and the motor is likely to pitch out of the water on one tack and get
      washed on the other.
      5. The mast and daggerboard are far off center, with the result that
      she had appreciably more stability on one tack than she did on the
      other.

      Your design solves problems (I don't call them issues) 1, 4 and 5,
      although a different interior may solve problem 3.

      I tried to go to the analysis page, but it is still under
      construction. Could you give us a few points here from any notes or
      ideas you have collected?

      For Group Info: Tomboy Two has a Long Micro type keel to replace the
      daggerboard, and a junk rig mainsail, and a rudder/outboard
      arrangement familiar to all Micro owners.

      Chris

      (sunny Queensland, yes its sunny, burning into my eyes,...darn winter
      glare on computer)