"Tightbond II" and boatbuilding?

  • pateson@colton.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 30, 2001
      Any comments from anyone. Has anybody used the stuff?

      Pat Patteson
      Molalla, Oregon
    • mike_vacanti@hp.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 30, 2001
        I used Titebond II to laminate a redwood mast for my June Bug. I
        ripped a nearly clear 2x6 ($20.00 at home depot) in half and glued it
        back together as a 3x4 and then tapered it with a power planer. I
        used the Titebond II since I wanted the long working time and I also
        didn't want to spend the money for all the epoxy it would have taken
        for the glue up. I still haven't gotten around to varnishing the mast
        and I haven't seen any sign of weakness along the glue line. The mast
        is stored in my garage. I've had the boat out on winds up to 20 mph
        and the mast barely flexes at all. This surprised me, I expected it
        to be pretty whippy.

        Mike

      • garth@breakawaybooks.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 30, 2001
          Pat --

          We've had a few threads about Titebond in the last year or so. Go to
          the Bolger group web page and search the archives for "Titebond." You
          ought to get a lot of good info.

          I use the stuff a lot now -- my recently finished Michalak Piragua is
          held together by nothing but that and some bronze ring nails.

          The big question is not ease of use (great), or cost (low), or
          strength of bond (apparently very good) -- but durability over time.
          How will it hold that mast together in ten or twenty years? I think a
          few people have even given us feedback on that.

          Good luck. I bought one of the Titebond quart-sized squeeze bottles
          with an applicator nozzle , and one full gallon. I keep refilling the
          little bottle from the big. It's a great system.

          All best,
          Garth
        • dickpilz@gurudyne.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 30, 2001
            This thread has appeared in other forums, also. My major experience
            has been with furniture making and building flying model (indoor)
            aircraft. In those venues, it is considered more brittle than epoxy.

            In an end joint like a chair leg, it eventually flexes, cracks and
            separates. It works fine for laminating or scarphing. You should seal
            it well, especially if you take it to Depot Bay 8-)

            Dick Pilz
            Portland, Oregon

          • jhkohnen@boat-links.com
            Message 5 of 10 , May 1, 2001
              Pat-

              I used Titebond II to glue the gunwales onto my Six-Hour Canoe back in
              1997, and they still seem to be stuck on after being stored outside since
              then. I used lots of screws too, though. It's the one the kids were
              paddling around in Depoe Bay Saturday.

              --
              John <jkohnen@...>
              http://www.boat-links.com/
              Message 6 of 10 , May 1, 2001
                I've used it but the glue is better than my carpentry. I like the gap filling
                of Pro Bond.

                Mike Masten
              • pongo19050@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 10 , May 1, 2001
                  I've used it above the waterline to scarf stock for spars, etc. It
                  hasn't failed yet. Don't use it below whatever the specified temp is
                  (50 degrees?)or the bond will be worthless. I have noticed a
                  tendency for the glue to turn a litttle milky upon being submerged.
                  I haven't noticed any weakening of the bond and it returns to
                  translucent yellow upon drying. I'd seal it well.

                  Personally, I use epoxy or 3m 5200 below the waterline.

                  Regards

                  Andy Farquhar
                • R Coy
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 1, 2001
                    PL has been rcommened over tite II as it has better
                    holding power.
                    I have had Tite II go on me in some remodel projects,
                    however, I have not used PL adhesive.

                    http://auctions.yahoo.com/
                  • pateson@colton.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 1, 2001
                      The Depoe Bay Festival was wonderful. Must commend Jack Brown, and
                      his folks for a very organized and well run and most "Friendly" show.
                      Lots of folks and different boats there.
                      Saturday was beautiful weather, but Sunday was a day at the Oregon
                      coast (Lots of rain and wind), so most people left early.
                      Got to see most of the boats on Saturday, but everybody was was
                      having such a good time just talking to other folks, including me,
                      that it was hard to find the owner of a particular boat at their
                      boat. Not a bad thing, just kind of hard to connect people with boats.
                      Wish Sunday would have been a little nicer, so I could have taken a
                      closer look at all the boats there and talked with the owner,
                      builders, but with my bad neck, I was not too much disapointied in
                      leaving early.
                      Highlight of Sunday was "Runaway Dory Roundup" I'll spare names and
                      and details to protect the innocent, but was lots of fun.
                      Too many nice boats there for me to pick a "Winner", but that was
                      a lot of the fun. "No Fees, No Awards, No Rules".
                      They were all great.

                      I think a great time had by all, and am already looking forward to
                      next year. Anybody that didn't show up should plan on comming next
                      year.

                      Got to stay in same motel as RCMP folks from Vancouver BC who brought
                      down a 31' Replica of a "Northwest Naive American" Canoe.
                      Got to talk with them some, and they seemed to enjoy the event.
                      Said they were probably going to bring it to the Portland, "Eh",
                      "Rivers West Small Craft" Show normally held at "Oak's Park", but
                      that has been moved to Porland's new "Eastside" of the Willamette
                      River improvement area. It is scheduled for weekend of July 28-29.
                      More on that later I'm sure. Should be bigger and better. (Maybe,
                      except "City" will be involved, so I hope that "City" will just stay
                      the heck out of the way, and lets the regulars run it. It has been a
                      very nice, casual show in the past, hope it stays that way.

                      Great time, hope to see you all there next year and at other shows.

                      Pat Patteson
                      Molalla, Oregon
                      pateson@...

                      PS
                      Dick Pilz, please contact me at above email
                    • phillip_lea@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 4, 2001
                        My doug fir mast and yellow pine tiller are both laminated/glued with
                        Tite Bond II. They are sealed with epoxy clear coat and varnish. 1
                        year old, and no problems.

                        Phil Lea
                        Russellville, Arkansas