Re: Wha's like us!!!!

  • mike_vacanti@hp.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30 10:15 AM
      The bunks run fore and aft. I think I will remove them and replace
      them with a single 2x4 or 2x6 run athwartship. I'll do something
      similar with the forward roller. Thanks for the idea, I wish I had
      done this from the beginning.

      Bill Samson mentioned that he didn't like the butt blocks, rot was
      starting there. I don't like the butt blocks at all, the sides of the
      boat have a noticeable flat spot in the area of the butt blocks. If I
      were to ever build another boat I would either use a 8 or 10 to 1
      scarf or a fiberglass butt joint. I recently made a scarf using a
      hand plane in 1/2" plywood; I need a lot more practice, the beveled
      surfaces had noticeable gaps between them. Does anyone know of a
      scarphing fixture that will fit a Dewalt power planer?

      I'm in the process of changing the leeboard arrangement, I've already
      broken it once when I hit a rock while moving very slowly. I'm going
      to try a pivoting leeboard as described in one of Jim Michalak's
      articles.

      Mike

    • pongo19050@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 30 10:50 AM
        --- In bolger@y..., "Samson Family" <Bill.Samson@t...> wrote:
        > Now where can all the other Scottish looneys be?

        Bill,

        Canna' ya see, we've been here all along? After Culloden, the
        clearences, convict transportation, etc., most of us looney Scots are
        either in North America or (even loonier) down under in Oz or NZ. I
        suppose the looniest, present company excluded, stayed put in the old
        country on their rocky crofts.

        Iomchorc,

        Andy Farquhar
      • StepHydro@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 30 10:56 AM
          In a message dated 04/30/2001 1:<BR54:<BR05 PM
          Eastern Daylight , pongo19050@... writes:> Canna' ya see, we've been
          here all along? After Culloden, the
          > clearences, convict transportation, etc., most of us looney Scots are
          > either in North America or (even loonier) down under in Oz or NZ. I
          > suppose the looniest, present company excluded, stayed put in the old
          > country on their rocky crofts.

          Aye!

          Mine (Carron, Buchanan) got out while the gettin' was good. We get to walk
          around in these silly outfits during the festivals and pretend that we're
          *real* Scotsmen :-)

          Cheers/Carron
        • Phil Smith
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 30 3:11 PM
            mike_vacanti@... wrote:

            I don't like the butt blocks at all, the sides of the
            > boat have a noticeable flat spot in the area of the butt blocks. If I
            > were to ever build another boat I would either use a 8 or 10 to 1
            > scarf or a fiberglass butt joint. I recently made a scarf using a
            > hand plane in 1/2" plywood; I need a lot more practice, the beveled
            > surfaces had noticeable gaps between them. Does anyone know of a
            > scarphing fixture that will fit a Dewalt power planer?

            Does the scarfing attachment advertised in the back of WoodenBoat for
            the past twenty years or so fit the Dewalt? I've seen articles on how to
            make jigs for routers and other power tools to make scarf joints.

            Phil Smith