back to Oregon,DF

  • wattleweedooseeds@bigpond.com.au
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2001
      A salvage yard rang on friday to say he had some oregon 4x2's and did
      I want them. BLimey I was round there in a flash. 2 sticks 18 1/2 '
      long , no knots etc....Isnt that typical when you just finished
      scarfing your longest mast. Now I can make the mast toolong and trim
      it back to get the best fit. Payed less than $1.00 Aus per foot (
      drool on folks )
      Ive been experimenting with the local woods to see how they glue t.
      they were akll too hard to plane. Mulga was so hard the electric
      plane bounced off and shattered a blade. allthe glued pieces fell
      apart at the glue line with almost no epoxy soaking in. We have no
      conifers here at all so maybe that railway yellow pine was a bargain
      after all . I suspect our trees could be perfect knees etc for a
      wooden ship building industry.
      Still no rain , cheers all
      Paul