Re: [bolger] Was: Choice?, now engines

  • StepHydro@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28, 2001
      Woah!!! in the Zephyr/WS/Surf range, aren't *oars* the engine ??? :-)

      These craft can use a very small engine, usually mounted canoe-style, on a
      side outrigger. Works nicely, but hardly needed if you have decent oars
      <A HREF="http://barkleysoundoar.com/">Barkley Sound Oar and Paddle Ltd.</A>

      or the sort that Michalak shows in one of his issues:
      <A HREF="http://marina.fortunecity.com/breakwater/274/">Main Page: Jim
      Michalak Indexed</A>

      Cheers/Carron
    • jhkohnen@boat-links.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2001
        Electric trolling motors are _very_ nice. The motors are light, so mounting
        on an outrigger is no problem, they always start, they don't stink and
        they're _quiet_. Rowing can be pleasant exercise, but when you're stuck on
        the wrong side of the lake on a hot day a little mechanical help is sure
        nice. The Minn Kota Endura 30 seems to be the best bargain in electric
        motors, it costs just less than $100 most places and has enough oomph to
        push a smallish sailboat (Windsprint or Zephyr) just fine. In a pinch it'll
        run a couple hours at full bore on a group 24 battery, but you shouldn't do
        that often for the sake of your battery. The big problem with the Endura 30
        is a short shaft, my transom is too high for it, but an outrigger can be
        built to acommodate that.

        Gas outboards are nasty things, even the 4-cycle ones. The only reason to
        use one is if you need long range, since electric "fuel" (batteries) is
        heavy and bulky.

        --
        John <jkohnen@...>
        http://www.boat-links.com/