Re: [bolger] Re: Best Small Sailboat

  • James Fuller
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2001
      Hi,

      I took the liberty of copying the following from Dave Carnell's web page.  I am certain that he would not mind.

      "Jimmy Piver wrote me after building his that I should be promoting it as a high-performance boat, not a cheap one. He described his boat going to windward in the crowded anchorage of Taylor's Creek, Beaufort, NC, against the tide with a crew weight of 640 pounds as truly outstanding sailing.

      Greg Rinaca, POB 687, Coldspring, TX 77331, 409-653-2133, built one of the boats and says: "If you have any customers for your $200 SAILBOAT who would like to talk to someone that has already built one, feel free to give my phone number, address, or e-mail address; I would be glad to talk to them. I think your plans, instructions, advice for tools, suppliers, etc. is top notch and the boat is easy to build with them.""

      Mr Rinaca told me that he had done 6 knots in his boat, using his GPS for tracking speed.

      Also, the plan set is more than complete.  It has lots of full size drawings, and has enough written instructions to  allow an absolute beginner to build it.  He also includes info on tools, wood, epoxy, paint, etc.   As a beginner t this, I would absolutely reccomend  the plans for the featherwind ($200.) boat.  They are worth the $20 price for the info they contain, even if  you never build the boat.

      Having said all that, My experience consists of 1-7/8 boats built so my advice is probably worth what you pay for it.

      James Fuller

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2, 2001
        At the risk of repeating myself in the thread.  I have a set of Dave's plans....they are the best plan dollar value I've seen.

        Jim C.