Re: re:[bolger] glue

  • djost@ma.ultranet.com
    Message 1 of 41 , Apr 1 6:25 PM
      On a visit to the Edey and Duff Boat yard last summer. I
      noticed one of the workers sanding the wooden teak rails for their
      new day sailor (it is not a Bolger, but does have an electric
      engine!) I asked him what he used to get the rail bedded down so
      beautifully. He said 5200 tan colored. It looks like wood and sands
      well when dry.
      I considered using it for the rails and gunwales on my Micro but
      changed my mind when I found the price for this would be four times
      as much as using epoxy. I also considered putting a heavy bead of
      this on top of the keel prior to jacking in place, but that too was
      more expensive and no more effective than epoxy. It seems like nice
      stuff if you can afford it, It is easier to clean up than epoxy (I
      used it over and under all the keel bolts that hold the keel batten
      on. It is very difficult to work with in cold weather.
      I guess this horse is dead. Sorry, but I could not resist
      kicking it.

      David Jost
      "watching the robins break their beaks on frozen worms"
    • craig o'donnell
      Message 41 of 41 , May 20, 2003
        >I'll be the Marine polyurethane is the same as the other---just
        >labed differently.

        They don't sell this anymore.

        It was actually cheaper than the home improvement sealant!

        I compared the ingredients, a little more VOC/solvent in the marine
        version, otherwise identical.

        So use the home type. Works just as well.
        --
        Craig O'Donnell
        Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats

        -- Macintosh kinda guy
        Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.
        ---