Re: Sunk Micro . . .

  • ellengaest@boatbuilding.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2001
      What a gentle reminder for us amateur boatbuilders!It was a relief to
      read that no bodies were lost with the sinking......although it is
      difficult for me to imagine conditions rough enough to swamp a MICRO
      yet not so rough(apparently!) to trigger a few neurons in the"good
      seamanship/common sense" department of the skippers' cerebral cortex
      that would have seen ALL hatches secured.......in the closed position.
      Admittedly,the MICRO does possess the qualities of a larger boat such
      as comfort,easier motion,incredible stability and is
      even self-righting.However,the prudent skipper must remain wary
      despite the luxuries,of four things;1)The MICRO is still a small
      boat,2)Wind and waves are still capable of overwhelming a
      MICRO,3)The ballast keel of the MICRO is still made of lots of lead
      and 4)The skipper is responsible for the safety of his crew/passengers
      and vessel.
      I recall many a fine "coffee break" spent laying underneath my
      unfinished MICRO,enjoying a fresh cup of coffee and a smoke,while
      gazing at that gorgeous chunk of lead all fastened up to the bottom of
      the boat.All sorts of peacefull images would be conjured up,including
      that warm-all-over feeling one can sometimes get just thinking about
      never having to find oneself dumped into cold polluted water ever
      again by some unballasted dinghy.Running parallel with that happy
      thought was one that said,"I'd better never swamp her or else I'm
      going to be up to my chin in shit".To ensure I never forget that last
      sentence,I chose to forgo the prescribed floatation and use those
      spaces for more storage.
      Well,since her launching in the summer of 1993,I've had a few good
      scares thrown at me by the mighty St.Lawrence River but no great
      mishap and while it may be true that God looks after fools(I'm still
      here,afterall!) I have yet to see it written anywhere that he must
      also take care of boats,cars,planes,campfires etc ....
      Where is all of this heading to? To one big wish!
      That we all have enough wisdom to trust the skilled efforts of our
      famous designer and his fleet of proven designs.That we all
      endeavour to build our boats to the very best of our abilities.That we
      have the patience and perseverance to see our building efforts through
      to the end.That we at least make the time to learn and practice safe
      boating skills.That our summers be filled with happy boating
      adventures either alone or with those dear to us and finally,when all
      hell seems to be breaking loose all around us and our thoughts become
      flooded with dark scenarios,that we all have the intestinal fortitude
      to say,"Would you mind awfully to close the bleeding hatch,dear!"

      Sincerely,
      Peter Lenihan,keeping up the intestinal fortitude with daily rations
      of oat bran and getting the old tool box ready for spring fit out,on
      the shores of the St.Lawrence...........

      --- In bolger@y..., "Samson Family" <Bill.Samson@t...> wrote:
      > Chuck Leiweber wrote:
      > > sold a Micro to a guy in Corpus Christi,
      > >Texas. The guy promptly sank it in the Gulf of Mexico. He went
      offshore
      > >with the cockpit hatch open.
      >
      > We don't often hear about Bolger boats meeting an untimely end.
      Hopefully