Sunk Micro . . .

  • Samson Family
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 29, 2001
      Chuck Leiweber wrote:
      > sold a Micro to a guy in Corpus Christi,
      >Texas. The guy promptly sank it in the Gulf of Mexico. He went offshore
      >with the cockpit hatch open.

      We don't often hear about Bolger boats meeting an untimely end. Hopefully
      the captain and crew were OK?

      It brings to mind the guy, about 10 or 12 years ago I suppose, who built
      four (or was it five?) self-steering Micros and sent them off across the
      Atlantic (west to east) - as an artistic 'happening'. I don't remember
      hearing about whether they survived the trip.

      Any of the old farts come across this event?

      Bill Samson
    • Chuck Leinweber
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 29, 2001
        > We don't often hear about Bolger boats meeting an untimely end. Hopefully
        > the captain and crew were OK?
        >
        > Bill Samson

        Apparently the captain and three passengers were Ok.

        Chuck
      • John Bell
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 29, 2001
          I thought the boat went to Bill Derby in Ft. Worth? He used to participate
          on the Chris Noto list, then he ran a list for a while, called 'Woodboats' I
          think.

          Where was I when he sank it? That seems like it would have been great fodder
          for discussion. Did it actually go to the bottom? I always figured a Micro
          would be at least neutrally buoyant even without additional flotation.

          Inquiring minds want to know!

          JB

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 29, 2001
            Yes, I too am hoping that some enlightened Micro sailor would
            address this issue prior to my own sinking in Nantucket sound takes
            place.

            Progress is steady and slow on the Micro Firefly. I guess a little
            more time will be spent on hatches that close real tight!

            David Jost
          • ellengaest@boatbuilding.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 1, 2001
              What a gentle reminder for us amateur boatbuilders!It was a relief to
              read that no bodies were lost with the sinking......although it is
              difficult for me to imagine conditions rough enough to swamp a MICRO
              yet not so rough(apparently!) to trigger a few neurons in the"good
              seamanship/common sense" department of the skippers' cerebral cortex
              that would have seen ALL hatches secured.......in the closed position.
              Admittedly,the MICRO does possess the qualities of a larger boat such
              as comfort,easier motion,incredible stability and is
              even self-righting.However,the prudent skipper must remain wary
              despite the luxuries,of four things;1)The MICRO is still a small
              boat,2)Wind and waves are still capable of overwhelming a
              MICRO,3)The ballast keel of the MICRO is still made of lots of lead
              and 4)The skipper is responsible for the safety of his crew/passengers
              and vessel.
              I recall many a fine "coffee break" spent laying underneath my
              unfinished MICRO,enjoying a fresh cup of coffee and a smoke,while
              gazing at that gorgeous chunk of lead all fastened up to the bottom of
              the boat.All sorts of peacefull images would be conjured up,including
              that warm-all-over feeling one can sometimes get just thinking about
              never having to find oneself dumped into cold polluted water ever
              again by some unballasted dinghy.Running parallel with that happy
              thought was one that said,"I'd better never swamp her or else I'm
              going to be up to my chin in shit".To ensure I never forget that last
              sentence,I chose to forgo the prescribed floatation and use those
              spaces for more storage.
              Well,since her launching in the summer of 1993,I've had a few good
              scares thrown at me by the mighty St.Lawrence River but no great
              mishap and while it may be true that God looks after fools(I'm still
              here,afterall!) I have yet to see it written anywhere that he must
              also take care of boats,cars,planes,campfires etc ....
              Where is all of this heading to? To one big wish!
              That we all have enough wisdom to trust the skilled efforts of our
              famous designer and his fleet of proven designs.That we all
              endeavour to build our boats to the very best of our abilities.That we
              have the patience and perseverance to see our building efforts through
              to the end.That we at least make the time to learn and practice safe
              boating skills.That our summers be filled with happy boating
              adventures either alone or with those dear to us and finally,when all
              hell seems to be breaking loose all around us and our thoughts become
              flooded with dark scenarios,that we all have the intestinal fortitude
              to say,"Would you mind awfully to close the bleeding hatch,dear!"

              Sincerely,
              Peter Lenihan,keeping up the intestinal fortitude with daily rations
              of oat bran and getting the old tool box ready for spring fit out,on
              the shores of the St.Lawrence...........