[bolger] Topaz

  • sailormon@torchlake.com
    Message 1 of 52 , Dec 4, 1999
      For those interested in this boat and the ongoing pictures sent to
      Duckworks, work will be suspended this next week. This is not to say I
      quit. Rather it is time to go sailing. As I live in northern Mi. and
      have retired, I keep a boat in Florida ( a gemini catamaran) on which I
      live during the winter. Thus, the topaz will be put to bed until
      april. At that time I plan to continue to send in reports and pictures
      of the boat up through it's launch. During that summer I will be
      touring the inland lakes on which I live plus some of the inland
      waterways in mi. The later part of the summer it will be found in
      Canada in the north channel out among the islands.
      I will be available and will respond to mail up through the ninth of
      this month for anyone who wishes. I would like to thank the folks who
      have contacted me and gave encouragement during this project. This is
      a big boat and your interest is really apprectiated. Sometimes I need
      a kick start as like anyone, I get a little lazy now and
      then.............Smooth sailing to all and I will be with you in spirit
      while sailing the Bahamas for the next four months. Brad
      Message 52 of 52 , Oct 26, 2006
        Can you tell me about the topaz?

        Topaz is a design sold by Phil Bolger, essentially a shallow draft
        double ended outboard runabout, mostly out of plywood.

        I think that three have been built in the 'enclosed cabin' version,
        and I am the first to build in the 'open runabout' version. I think
        it could be built with MDO plywood, (without fiberglass), making it
        somewhat 'disposable', but with a boat this big (31ft) there is some
        justification towards spending the $/time to build it more
        substantially w/plywood/epoxy/fiberglass composite.

        Some photos of a Topaz build here:

        http://journeyboats.com/photo_journal.htm

        I used a different quicker technique for the bottom build, with no
        'table', Silicon Bronze nails instead of screws, and I was happy with
        the time saved.

        Presently, I am partially done, doing interior fitout (most recently,
        the 'faux-teak' floorboard planking between the seats and in the
        cockpit) plus painting of the underseat compartments. Two weeks ago,
        I installed the narrow curved midship top deck strake (20ft x 6"
        tilted and curved), for which I used Free!ship to calculate the
        layout. Handy software!